One Ball to Rule Them All...

One Ball to Rule Them All...

• 1146 points

Why does golf allow so many different golf balls when every other sport uses one standard ball?

•  

Professor3
    Why does golf allow so many different golf balls when every other sport uses one standard ball?

Golf balls are standard in terms of size and weight!

•  

Agreed Devin...Basketball has so many different types of balls (Wilson, Spaulding, Nike, Adidas, etc..), not to mention about every other sport...!

• 1146 points

Hmm, hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks guys

• 1135 points

I know of Wilson, Nike, Adidas, and Rawlings footballs.  They are just made to the same specs for each class of use.  Same with basketball and soccer.  

•  

$$$$$$$$$$. All about making a buck.

• 3718 points

Imagine baseballs though, allowing various seam patterns or multiple internal makeups.

We'd see some interesting pitching I think :)

I think most other sports you'd find it tough to make anything real unique.

•  

Chris hit it on the head.  As a long time basketball player and coach, I can tell you not all basketballs are the same.  And you can use a different brand ball to get an advantage if you knew what to look for.

• 5349 points

I agree... every sport has it's standard requirements for their applicable ball and all of the various manufacturers make the product in compliance with those specs.  

• 688 points

Marketing. No different than buying a car. Some prefer one brand over another. Also, to see if different brands of balls can eek out that extra yard, spin the ball better, or feel when we putt.

•  

Professor3

In some high end amateur play/game, and also I believe in the tour, there is an imposed official rule called "One Ball Condition".  Uncommon to a regular play, but there is that.

In example, if you started to play a Titleist ProV1 on hole #1, you must finish with the same type/brand of ball. . . Solo, NXT or even if you played ProV1x won't do.

•  

Its all about choices.  People want to be able too choose and what we grew up with.  When I was little we had three channels on the TV, now I have 250...........they call it progress.....lol  

• 2634 points

Just think about how much endorsement $$ the guys would lose if there were fewer brands.

•  

noeldaof
    Professor3

In some high end amateur play/game, and also I believe in the tour, there is an imposed official rule called "One Ball Condition".  Uncommon to a regular play, but there is that.

In example, if you started to play a Titleist ProV1 on hole #1, you must finish with the same type/brand of ball. . . Solo, NXT or even if you played ProV1x won't do.

that's true, but they can use any ball they want.  they just have to stay with the same ball once they start.  it's not like the US Open says they have to all use a Titleist Pro V1.

•  

Choices by manufacturers...the only constant is size/shape...too many players in the golf industry