Edwin Watts Back to Business

Edwin Watts Back to Business

•  

It appears that Edwin Watts Stores will be back to business as usual.  A bankruptcy court cleared the way Thursday for the $40.8 million sale of golf retailer Edwin Watts to a pair of purchasers, according to a Wall Street Journal report.

The duo of GWNE, Inc., and Hilco Merchant Resources LLC paired to win the rights to the retailer through a bankruptcy auction earlier this week. The move could reportedly allow the chain, which employs 648 people across its 91 U.S. locations, to keep some of its stores open, as papers filed in bankruptcy court by the purchasers included plans to retain lease agreements at 49 locations.

I spoke with a manager of one of their stores in Memphis over Thanksgiving and he was excited about the new take over.  Sun Capital had run them in the ground along with their credit.  I wish them well.

• 5550 points

The store here is small and in an inconvienent location. Small selection of clubs and clothing. Hard for them to compete with the bigger stores here. I am buying more and more online. I will be curious to see if they are able to turn their economic position a around.

•  

Chuck

This is what happens when "investment" companies run businesses they have no clue about. Again....

• 1930 points

Never has been my first choice but I wish them luck.

• 3106 points

The are a dinosaur and a pricey one at that......too many places aka Golf Locker .com that have more reasonable prices  and more variety.

Even Golf Galaxy is a better choice over Edwin watts IMO.

• 2077 points

I'm always in favor of competition.  But if they don't evolve, even with new management,  they will unfortunately wither and die.

I wish them the best.  I'll keep an eye out for changes to their site.  If their prices improve and provide a good alternative to others, I'll be happy to give them some business.

• 5375 points

Tar Heel
    Chuck

This is what happens when "investment" companies run businesses they have no clue about. Again....

New ownership could simply deploy an operating plan that  is exactly the opposite of the last ownership and probably be a player in the game!!

• 1458 points

Is this the future of the off-course golf stores? It seems like these companies ebb and flow with the economy. Edwin Watts, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy...have all closed stores in some areas and opened new stores in others. EW used to have some kind of partnership with Sears but when I went in to Sears EW was gone and they said it didn't last very long. With the internet it must be difficult for them. Likewise, with the growth of custom club-fitting I'd imagine fewer people will buy clubs off the shelf.

• 5375 points

Professor3
    Is this the future of the off-course golf stores? It seems like these companies ebb and flow with the economy. Edwin Watts, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy...have all closed stores in some areas and opened new stores in others. EW used to have some kind of partnership with Sears but when I went in to Sears EW was gone and they said it didn't last very long. With the internet it must be difficult for them. Likewise, with the growth of custom club-fitting I'd imagine fewer people will buy clubs off the shelf.

Retail of all ilk is undergoing huge disruption and "creative destruction" thank to the Internet. The playing field is starting to level out a bit as states like Massachusetts impose sales taxes on internet purchases originating in their states. Amazon is the big gorilla sitting on the couch in plain sight that retailers of all stripes must view with nothing but trepidation!

• 4499 points

It's all about adapting and changing with the times.  You have to be able to compete with the numerous big box stores and local pro shops, but you also have to compete with the internet nowadays.  I'm hoping the new owners are able to make some changes and turn the fortunes of EW around.  More places to obtain golf gear is never bad :)

•  

we live in an online era.  if you are not a specialty shop (featuring club repair, club fitting, lessons, etc...) you must have a competitive online presence.  it's not an option anymore but a requirement.  and right now, EW has arguably the worst online store of all the golf "stores."  if that doesn't change, i don't see anything helping them compete and survive.

•  

Edwin Watts in Charleston has always done a first class job and the store here has outlasted numerous other stores because of service.  They do custom fitting and were able to order direct from manufacturers, but once Sun Capital took over all that sorta went out the window because of their lack of credit..........heard a rumor today at the golf course that the one in Charleston is closing and that would be a big loss to the community....hope this is only a rumor.........

•  

I received an email the other night that the store by my house is closing so they are selling everything 10-30 % off. I've been meaning to head over there but all the ice in the roads has kept me inside the house.  My only real complaint about Edwin Watts is their loyalty rewards program - they collect your data, but you don't get anything but a bunch of emails.  To complete with PGA superstore and Golf Galaxy, you have to have a rewards program that gives you points and discount coupons every now and then.

•  

Say it ain't so Dallin! There aren't going to be any stores besides golfsmith anywhere near you. Plus, that store had really good people.

•  

I spoke with the guys at our local store today and they are closing our store in Charleston....the doors will be officially closed by the end of February.....the explanation I was given is that the store is too big for the amount of volume it produces and the new owners  tried to renegotiate their lease and failed......it appears they do not want 10,000 sq ft stores.......with EW closing that will leave us with only Dicks and ProGolf......not a fan of Dicks and not really shopped their except for hunting supplies....purchase fishing supplies closer to home from fishing captain's shop......their golf dept is the pits......Dicks is across the street from EW......ProGolf does a good job....shop a lot from them, local franchise and give veterans discount and great service.......and two miles from the house.....hate to see these guys loose their jobs......some have been with them a long time......they are transferring the Regional Store Manager.....good guy......