Golf in the Olympics

Golf in the Olympics

• 2758 points

I am probably in  a very small minority but I don't see any reason or need for golf to be in the Olympics.

The game is growing globally on a annual  basis already and I don't see much of a gain for the sport in terms of growth from something that occurs every 4 years.

Don't get me wrong I will watch but I am a golf junkie and also watched the WEB.COM playoffs.

• 1393 points

I used to feel this way about both golf and tennis.  They both have their own majors as well as their own international competitions (Ryder Cup and Davis Cup respectively).  However, when sports enter the olympic realm it offers something that neither sport get on their own.  Countries like China and India, to name two, begin to pour money into prepping their next generations.  Did you see that the PGA Tour is now going to sponsor a tour in China? Do you think the olympics had anything to do with that decision? Of course, there's a lot of money to be made as well.

•  

I think that the exposure is good for golf.  Have not seen the format that they will be playing and I am guessing it will be similar to the World Cup.  The Olympics exposes the world to alot of sports, why not golf.......

•  

tee2green
    I am probably in  a very small minority but I don't see any reason or need for golf to be in the Olympics.

The game is growing globally on a annual  basis already and I don't see much of a gain for the sport in terms of growth from something that occurs every 4 years.

Don't get me wrong I will watch but I am a golf junkie and also watched the WEB.COM playoffs.

Perhaps it is because golf is so popular that it should be in the Olympics. That would explain curling. LOL

• 1710 points

My only objection is I would prefer to see amateurs competing.

• 1748 points

I agree that it should be amateurs.  That should also be true of all Olympic sports, in my opinion.  

• 2758 points

I think this decision 90% about the money( as it usually is ). The PGA TOUR in China has very little to do with the Oylmpics , it has a lot to do with the revenue streams available from 800 million people

The far east had a golf explosion before golf became an Olympic sport, Korea and China have been having tournaments before the Olympics became a reality. Golf has been huge in those countries for years, just look at all the Korean players on the LPGA as proof.

Just my 2 cents.

•  

kmcmellen
    I agree that it should be amateurs.  That should also be true of all Olympic sports, in my opinion.

i agree with this, but unfortunately that's just not possible anymore.  in the main sports (running, swimming, gymnastics,  skiing, figure skating) there are virtually no amateurs.  countries like China would have athletes "working" for government.  and the US would be left with high school and college athletes.  

•  

tee2green
    I think this decision 90% about the money( as it usually is ). The PGA TOUR in China has very little to do with the Oylmpics , it has a lot to do with the revenue streams available from 800 million people

The far east had a golf explosion before golf became an Olympic sport, Korea and China have been having tournaments before the Olympics became a reality. Golf has been huge in those countries for years, just look at all the Korean players on the LPGA as proof.

Just my 2 cents.

i think just the opposite.  China might have been holding tourneys and producing pros for a while, but the Olympics will take it to a whole new level there.  it will now be a government sponsored as they will try to win Olympic medals.  i don't think it's a coincidence that golf has grown to the point of a PGA Tour partnership within the last few years.

•  

GolfGuyInTx

I agree with you 100%, but amateurs in the Olympics went out a long time ago.  I wish the committee could go back to that format but that would probably mean some countries would not compete.  To play for the company you work for in some foreign countries is considered an honor not a profession.  

• 1393 points

Well said Sir! Or perhaps a combination of pros and amateurs.

•  

I am all for adding golf to the Olympics.  Anything that can bring positive attention to the sport and help it's growth around the world is welcome in my opinion.  It is yet to be seen how it's popularity will compare to other Olympic sports like Curling, as Fred's has noted above.  I think golf may be the winner!

• 4867 points

GolfGuyInTx

I agree. Watching the U.S. basketball team put together the "Dream Team". Instead of the top amateurs.. I am losing interest in events that are dominated by professional atheletes competing in the Olympics.

• 5058 points

Gosh, there are quite a few legacy Olympic events that exist largely because, I think, the Olympics give these sports a venue and stage every four years - How about synchronized swimming? Or trampoline? Rhythmic gymnastics? And there have been any number of sports that have had the Olympic stage and lost that venue =

Against this backdrop, golf take its place and we shall see if the television folks think it deserves something higher than the third tier network airing at 3 AM! I would bet that if the US team can lure Tiger and Phil to play, that the televising network (NBC?) will promote promote promote!Look for the ratings in Asian countries with growing golf programs to really catch fire...The Tour would like nothing better than to run a few more tourneys in this fast-growing relatively wealthy part of the world..Olympics wil help the Tour's mission I would think...

And don't you just love race walking??! Try that heel toe discipline at 5 miles an hour for a mile or two - It's a killer exercise!!

• 2758 points

China has had a few junior acadamies there for quite some time now.  Faldo  has had one for 4 or 5 years I believe. Haney has been a factor there for a few years now.

It's all about the $$ and revenue because if it was just about growing the game amatuers would be partaking not Pro's.