SoCal Open

SoCal Open

•  

Today and tomorrow the SoCal Open will be played at Arroyo Trabuco Golf Club, my home course, and Monarch Beach Golf Links. Yesterday the range was full of aspiring players looking to hone their skills in hopes of walking away with the $15,000 winners purse. And the course was full of all manner of players jamming in practice rounds.

Two points of interest....

My usual Sunday group was positioned behind two guys who were playing in the tournament. As a twosome one would think they could keep pace with the group in front. Of course not, as they had to jot notes for everything, and had one and a half holes open in front of them open. These two obviously needed to read the "Pace of Play" guidelines. Just because you're in a tournament does not grant you special dispensation on a public course.

Point one was mentioned because the group behind us had Jason Gore practicing. Jason was a PGA Tour player for a few years and has since lost his card, but he plays a variety of events here out of his SoCal base. He was interesting to watch (since I had lots of extra time!), because he played hardly any drivers and a "middle of the fairway" mentality all day. We have a couple drivable par 4's, and every time he hit a 3 or 4 iron. On one hole I watched as he was the farthest from the green, in the fairway, and got a birdie. I waited on the next tee box and asked him about it. He said he doesn't need any more stress on course trying to get out of trouble, so he played it smart. Hmmmm.

The final thing..... While Jason is a TM player, he was rocking a sweet pair of FJ Icon 52276, a StaSoft glove, and playing ProV1's. In case you were wondering!.....

•  

Interesting observations, Randy.  Thanks for letting us know.  I always enjoyed watching Jason Gore participate on the Tour and hope he is able to get back out there one day.

•  

very interesting.  that's a mentality i have tried to adopt.  i use to think i'm better off in a little bit of trouble a long way from the tee than a short drive in the fairway.  now i'd rather have a longer club into the green than be in trouble.

also interesting about the two-some in front of you.  i completely understand why they were slow, but they should realize they are going to be slow and maybe let a group go each hole.  their round will be much longer, but they won't be inconveniencing the players behind them.  i have no issues with slow golfers as long as they are courteous.  if you want to play a round in 6 hours and you make sure you're not holding anyone up on any hole, more power to you!

•  

Very interesting Randy, I think if more amateurs took that mentality they would be suprised on how their score would improve ( it's just sometimes difficult to make ourself do it)

•  

Randy, (Oh yes!) your course and Monarch Beach GL are both an outstanding course in your neighborhood communities.  It's got to be exciting to fill them with great players, let alone Mr. Jason Gore. . .  Anyway, in an effort to help the players with their notes, I understand that both courses publish their own yardage books for the public.  I'm wondering why wouldn't it be good enough to use by just including their additional notes on to it.  Sure, there may be some changes to the courses like the drive-landing area of the 18th at ArrTrab when they tamed the slope down towards the lake and by adding a bunker by the lake as a catch...  but, not much have changed since, I don't think. . .  just saying, it would have helped keep the pace a little closer to normal.

On another note, I am rooting for a kid (Chris Baingo) from Crystalaire/Thousand Oaks.  (No, it couldn't have been one of the two in front of you, Sunday! :-)  I believe he's there on a weekday.)  Anyway, I saw him last Saturday in a white 52031. . . the kid looked good!

•  

cool Randy...did you ever get to play through or were you held up all day????

• 5071 points

Randy -- I love the approach that Gore advocated: middle of the fairway  or green is never a bad place.

•  

Update: Jason Gore shot a 63 on Arroyo and is the Round One leader. Seems he knows what he's doing....He tees off this morning at Monarch Beach for Round Two.

Mondo, Never was allowed to play through, so held up.

•  

Wow, very interesting.  I really want to try to do a round where I play smart but I always get the urge to GO FOR IT!

•  

That was a nice scorecard, 30/33, for Mr. Gore!  

•  

Randy, Should have driven up and told them what time sunset  was.  Gore: The thinking of tournament pros is amazing with all that goes on for each shot.  It is a chess game.

•  

He might be a TM player for the twigs, but he knows style and comfort - FJ the Mark of a Player!

•  

Update-

Gore shoots 72 at Monarch Beach, falls into T-2 (-7). He will play in the final group today and is currently one shot off the lead, held by John Ellis (-8).

• 4351 points

Randy,

Thanks for the updates and a bit of insight into the mind of a pro.  I find that when I usually let the ego go and club down (even if I'm not on the tee).  Maybe play a layup instead of a long shot into a green that I'll probably lose to the left pretty badly, that type of thing, my scores improve drastically.  Maybe thats why my scorecards are always lopsided between the front and back nines!

•  

Update

Jason Gore drains a 10 foot birdie putt to remain 1 shot in the lead on number 12. Please note the sweet FJ's..... And the beautiful scenery!