GREAT COLD WEATHER BALL

GREAT COLD WEATHER BALL

•  

I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH DISTANCES IN THIS FALL WEATHER THAT I AM UNACCUSTOMED TO.  IT SEEMS AS THOUGH WHEN THE TEMP DROPS BELOW 70* I HAVE BEE LOSING AT LEAST 10 YDS WITH THE BALL I HAVE BEEN USIND..............NXT TOUR OR PRO V1

SO TODAY I SWITCHED TO THE DT SOLO.  IT MADE A DISTINCT DIFFERENCE ON THE + SIDE FOR ME.  AVG OF + 10 YDS OVER THE OTHER 2 BALLS AT THESE TEMPS.

MU SWING SPEED IS MODERATE (98 FOR DRIVER, 88 FOR 5 IRON SO THAT IS A FACTOR.

FOR SWING SPEEDS SIMILAR TO MINE, I WOULD RECOMMEND THE DT SOLO IN COLDER WEATHER.......JUST SAYIN"

• 1915 points

I have found that as the temperature drops so should your balls compression level.

•  

Golf is hard enough already for me to switch balls... Familiarity breeds consistency, well that's what I keep telling myself!

• 2632 points

I agree with Bruce.  I have switched to the SoLo in years past and have found that for cooler temps ( i play spring and fall in Wisconsin with temps in 50's) and this ball does regain some of the lost distance.  

•  

TNT009
    Golf is hard enough already for me to switch balls... Familiarity breeds consistency, well that's what I keep telling myself!

agreed.  but not all of us get SoCal temps all year!  :)  I've had years with a 100* temperature difference between my hottest round and coldest round.

•  

BRUCE
    I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH DISTANCES IN THIS FALL WEATHER THAT I AM UNACCUSTOMED TO.  IT SEEMS AS THOUGH WHEN THE TEMP DROPS BELOW 70* I HAVE BEE LOSING AT LEAST 10 YDS WITH THE BALL I HAVE BEEN USIND..............NXT TOUR OR PRO V1

SO TODAY I SWITCHED TO THE DT SOLO.  IT MADE A DISTINCT DIFFERENCE ON THE + SIDE FOR ME.  AVG OF + 10 YDS OVER THE OTHER 2 BALLS AT THESE TEMPS.

MU SWING SPEED IS MODERATE (98 FOR DRIVER, 88 FOR 5 IRON SO THAT IS A FACTOR.

FOR SWING SPEEDS SIMILAR TO MINE, I WOULD RECOMMEND THE DT SOLO IN COLDER WEATHER.......JUST SAYIN"

Bruce, this goes to a study I conducted in college with the Texas A&M golf team. In a nutshell, the difference in carry from 95 degrees to 65 degrees was -7.8 yards. the difference from 65 degrees to 45 degrees was almost the same at -7.7 yards. The ball used was a Titlelist Pro Trajectory 100 compression and today's balls, having harder cores, may be affected more by temperature. Your use of a lower compression DT Solo makes sense. I'd like to know which ball has the lowest compression.

• 5483 points

I would be very interested in seeing quantative data/studies addressing temperature affect on golf balls. Carry distance, spin rate, launch angle...etc.

• 1690 points

I hit the Velocity ball all year long and it has little change on distance.  The biggest change is my swing and not getting all the way around due to layering and such.  But I will take my 255-275 and in the fairway any day.  Hope you find one you like.  

• 4480 points

Yep hitting something with a lower compression rating in the cold is usually a very helpful idea!  In the northeast we find that out earlier than many folks :(

•  

So if we have a higher swing speed with a driver, say 110-115 mph, so what ball would you recommend? I play the ProV1x during the season....Thanks!

•  

CHRIS, SINCE I HAVE A SWING SPEED OF ABOUT ONE HALF OF YOURS, I'M SURE MY COMMEMT WILL HAVE A VERY LARGE IMPRESSION ON YOUR DECISION.

I USE A PROV1X IN SUMMER AND PROV1 IN WINTER,,,REASON, THE X FEELS LIKE A ROCK IN 40 DEGREE WEATHER,,,,WHICH WE HAVE ABOUT 10 DAYS A YEAR.THE VELOCITY FEELS A LITTLE HARDER TO ME. I DONT LIKE TO PUTT WITH THE SO-LO OR THE NXTS.

I REALLY CAN'T COMPRESS ANY OFTHEM BUT MY MIND THINKS MY PRO V IDEA WORKS,,,,,,LOL,LOL.

•  

BRUCE,MY FRIEND, I STILL HAVE SEVERAL YEARS ON YOU AND BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT FROM 65 TO 75 I LOST ABOUT 5-7 YARDS PER YEAR. I HAVE GOTTEN TO THE POINT THAT I LET MYSELF BELIEVE THAT WHAT BALL I USE MAKES A DIFFERENCE,,,,,,BUT,,,I'M PRETTY SURE IT DOESN'T FOR ME ANYMORE,,,,,,,,,,LOL,LOL.

I LIKE THE PRO V1S ON AND AROUND THE GREENS IN ANY WEATHER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT THAT IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE TO YOU GUYS THAT CAN POUND IT OUT THERE.

•  

I play in Southern New Hampshire right up until the snow flies and here's what I do:

I start by keeping my golf bag inside the house the night before. I play with hand warmers in my big Titleist fleece mitts. I keep 2-3 balls in those mitts and rotate every hole. Keeping your balls warm "artificially" is technically against the rules, but I do it in casual golf - it's no fun hitting cold rocks!

•  

Hey, if you  dew sweep in some of the valleys in SD, you'll get low 40's...  And there are frost delays here.

•  

Here is something that I downloaded from the Heartland Golf School site regarding effective golf ball distance and temperature:    

"Temperature - At impact, the golf ball flattens out against the club face. The ball’s response is to restore its shape. When it does, it effectively pushes off the club face and launches itself forward. When a ball’s temperature gets below forty degrees its compresses less and restores itself more slowly–it pushes away from the club more slowly.

So when it gets below forty, expect the ball’s carry to be shorter. As a rule of thumb you can expect about a 5% drop in distance at that temperature. The colder it gets the bigger the drop."   That would equate to five yards for every one hundred yards of carry.