Practice putting greens

Practice putting greens

•  

Does anyone have any practice putting greens at home? Are they indoor or outdoor? I'm thinking about building one and was looking for ideas.

• 1362 points

Try this: www.synlawn.com/.../golf-putting-green-products

I have used these in some public parks and find that the surface is pretty hardy. The problem I see is the sub-structure. If it is not kept very firm and dry underneath it causes dips and valleys in the surface. This is definitely the right product if it barely rains in your area or if kept undercover (ie indoor or sheltered from rain).

• 4647 points

A former colleague from work (and in far flusher economic times) came home from a business trip to find that for his birthday his wife had a local company install a backyard putting green with chipping stations! Cost: More than $5K for sure! Artificial surface to accommodate the maintenance demands that a real grass green would put on anyone's schedule...Despite the novelty wearing off, my colleague still gets out in the yard fairly frequently to use his present...

•  

I do not have one unfortunately! I would love one however Xavier University just built a large one at their new indoor facility near me and it is awesome.  The green putts like a real green! I know the pro so if you need any specifics I could ask him for you...just let me know.  

•  

Chris, I didn't realize you lived close to Maketewah. I grew up in Norwood, literally right down the road. I live in NKY now, had no idea we lived that close to each other.

•  

Whaql1
    Chris, I didn't realize you lived close to Maketewah. I grew up in Norwood, literally right down the road. I live in NKY now, had no idea we lived that close to each other.

i think there's another ambassador near you guys.  you should all get together....

•  

Chris92009
    I do not have one unfortunately! I would love one however Xavier University just built a large one at their new indoor facility near me and it is awesome.  The green putts like a real green! I know the pro so if you need any specifics I could ask him for you...just let me know.

thanks for the offer!  I'll let you know.  I've just now started my research so I don't even know what to ask yet.  But I'll keep you in mind if I need any specifics.

•  

Unfortunately, NO....I wish I had the resources.....as well as a greenskeeper to maintain it.....I am at the course 4-5 days a week and will just practice there......good luck with your project......cz  : (

•  

I HAVE A 6 HOLE, 25FT. X 15 FT. GREEN IN MY BACK YARD THAT WAS PUT IN BY SOUTHWEST GREENS.

I'VE HAD IT ALMOST 7 YEARS AND IT'S STILL GOOD AS NEW. SOUTHWEST DID A GREAT JOB INSTALLING IT AND ABOUT ONCE A YEAR I ASK THEM TO COME OUT AND REFURBISH IT.

THE ONLY PROBLEM I'VE HAD WITH MINE IS THAT IN HOUSTON, ABOUT ONCE A YEAR MILDEW BUILDS UP ON IT AND THAT'S WHEN SOUTHWEST COMES OUT.

MINE RUNS ABOUT 12 WHEN NEWLY REFURBISHED AND GETS FASTER AS THE SAND COMPACTS.

IT'S ALSO GOOD FOR CHIPPING.

OF COURSE I GET A NICE STROKE FOR 12 GREENS AND GO OUT AND TRY TO PUTT 10S,,,UGGH. I STROKE AND IT COMES UP SHORT EVERY TIME,,,THEN I START JABBING TO GET THE SPEED UP AND,,,THERE GOES THE STROKE.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND SOUTHWEST GREENS. I THINK THEY ARE THE BEST.

•  

DOGLOSKI
    I HAVE A 6 HOLE, 25FT. X 15 FT. GREEN IN MY BACK YARD THAT WAS PUT IN BY SOUTHWEST GREENS.

I'VE HAD IT ALMOST 7 YEARS AND IT'S STILL GOOD AS NEW. SOUTHWEST DID A GREAT JOB INSTALLING IT AND ABOUT ONCE A YEAR I ASK THEM TO COME OUT AND REFURBISH IT.

THE ONLY PROBLEM I'VE HAD WITH MINE IS THAT IN HOUSTON, ABOUT ONCE A YEAR MILDEW BUILDS UP ON IT AND THAT'S WHEN SOUTHWEST COMES OUT.

MINE RUNS ABOUT 12 WHEN NEWLY REFURBISHED AND GETS FASTER AS THE SAND COMPACTS.

IT'S ALSO GOOD FOR CHIPPING.

OF COURSE I GET A NICE STROKE FOR 12 GREENS AND GO OUT AND TRY TO PUTT 10S,,,UGGH. I STROKE AND IT COMES UP SHORT EVERY TIME,,,THEN I START JABBING TO GET THE SPEED UP AND,,,THERE GOES THE STROKE.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND SOUTHWEST GREENS. I THINK THEY ARE THE BEST.

that's good to know.  i actually contacted them but we've been playing phone tag.  

•  

ChuckZ
    Unfortunately, NO....I wish I had the resources.....as well as a greenskeeper to maintain it.....I am at the course 4-5 days a week and will just practice there......good luck with your project......cz  : (

it'll be artificial turf, so no need for a greenskeeper.  with two little ones running around, i consider it a good month if i make it to the course 4-5 times.

•  

tdogg21
    ChuckZUnfortunately, NO....I wish I had the resources.....as well as a greenskeeper to maintain it.....I am at the course 4-5 days a week and will just practice there......good luck with your project......cz  : (

it'll be artificial turf, so no need for a greenskeeper.  with two little ones running around, i consider it a good month if i make it to the course 4-5 times.

Being retired, I am blessed.....having the opportunity to play...only a 8 lb doxie to take care of and I don't know if she would let me build a putting green in her yard.....she is very protective and then there are the squirrels, racoons, and various other criters here on the coast......ha...ha....I guess if I had one, I would go for a hardy hybrid type bermuda green.....in Charleston we play 365 or less......we are fortunate......but being I get to play so much.....I guess it's best to save the $$$$......to buy more FJ/Titleist goodies........  cz  :  )

•  

I have a Trueline Putting Green, it is about 9 x 4.  It is a pretty good green except I have worn a groove in it and have to vacuum it a lot to keep it True.  A little pricey for what you get.

•  

tdogg21

Does anyone have any practice putting greens at home? Are they indoor or outdoor? I'm thinking about building one and was looking for ideas.

www.footjoy.com/.../9938.aspx

Time and time again a need to practice putting does come around as well as to build something at home to either cut some travel time, or whether it is to have in a convenience of indoor to keep away from the cold weather.

Yes, it is getting close to that time again when it will be cold for me to stay outside in the cold windy days.

Above is the link to an old thread about a great find for my indoor putting green.  By far the by far the best "fitted" speed green, economical, and works well.

Enjoy.

•  

I have a Big Moss Augusta model, roughly  4' x 10' but is really 11.5' long. It's indoors and works best on a hard floor. You can use it outdoors, but I wouldn't leave it out there in the rain. It's excellent for practicing up to 10' putts on a stimpmeter 10 surface that rolls true.