Quarter Finals of Match Play

Quarter Finals of Match Play

•  

Heading into our quarter finals of our course's employees long summer match play.  It is handicaped and I get two strokes in the morning.  Feel if I can stay even with my opponent on the front, I might have a chance on the back.  He is a stronger player than I am, but who knows in match play.  Hoping for the best.  Will at least look my best in FJ.  cz

• 4511 points

Good luck!  Hit em straight :)  Don't go out there hoping to keep up.  Go out there with the mindset that you can beat him straight up!!  Let us know how you do

• 5378 points

Get'em Chuck! Nothing like the wily veteran spooking the young buck with a clever chip-in or a snaking putt to snatch a halve or win..Rattles the best of them and then you strike!!

•  

etakmit
    Good luck!  Hit em straight :)  Don't go out there hoping to keep up.  Go out there with the mindset that you can beat him straight up!!  Let us know how you do

Play my best on the back nine.  Fortunately, have won my other matches 5 and 4 on the back......cazy game......guess I get into a comfort level.....apprecate the support, you too, pistolpete....cz

• 5378 points

ChuckZ
    etakmitGood luck!  Hit em straight :)  Don't go out there hoping to keep up.  Go out there with the mindset that you can beat him straight up!!  Let us know how you do

Play my best on the back nine.  Fortunately, have won my other matches 5 and 4 on the back......cazy game......guess I get into a comfort level.....apprecate the support, you too, pistolpete....cz

CZ -  Forgot to congratulate you on moving into Silverdom in the FJC! Nicely done and FAST!

•  

pistolpete
    ChuckZetakmitGood luck!  Hit em straight :)  Don't go out there hoping to keep up.  Go out there with the mindset that you can beat him straight up!!  Let us know how you do

CZ -  Forgot to congratulate you on moving into Silverdom in the FJC! Nicely done and FAST!

Thanks again, Pete....match over and got in the zone today....made turn at plus two and made a hard hole out of number ten which is the easiest hole on the course and dropped a shot but on the next hole, a par three, stiffed it two feet from hole and went back up by two and we went back and forth and I stayed up at least one the rest of the back and closed him out 2 and 1 on 17.....tough match as I anticiapted......my driver was eratic but my short game and my putter were on.....shot a sweet 75 and I did beat him straight up...birdied three of the par threes....thanks for the support....the tournament is handicapped and I got two strokes ( only needed one, birdied one of the holes )......made the semi-finals and have to give 27 strokes in my next match.....any suggestions other than shoot 69.....cz  : )  

•  

CZ ...firstly well done in the QF .., secondly it's only one and half shots a hole so I think you've got him covered! ... lastly good luck in the SF and beyond !!!

• 5378 points

Chuck, Ozman would agree: No worries mate! One hole at a time and remember that ALL the pressure is on your opponent since he has a nice cushion of a shot  and a half a hole...Typically, a high handicapper will have challenges with the flat stick. Not to wish ill on anyone, but of you take a few holes, the flat stick may start shaking! Best of luck to both of you in the semis...

• 5457 points

Great playing Chuck!  I think age/experience/consistency tops the 1 out of 10 300yd bombs that the younger guys hit. Whats that saying: Drive for show and putt for dough. Sounds like you were money on the greens. Good luck in the semi's.

•  

Hey Crocman, it's not a him, it's a her, great fun person and love her to death, but she is killing everyone with her 36 handicap and improving everyday.....she had no established handicap so the person who set up this tournament gave her a 36 based on her saying she only plays once or twice a year......unfortunately he is not adjusting the handicaps during the tournament....once he set the handicap you live with it.....have had to play hard in this format because my handicap does not vary that much.....a shot and a half does not really sound like a lot......so don't worry about it and play hard......we'll see......I'll look the best in my FJs outfit......ha...ha...may go orange or pink....what do you thank.....cz : )

• 3134 points

Good luck ........fairways and greens are a good way to put pressure on a better player. Especially if your hitting first most of the time. Center of the green will do   : 0 )

•  

miniwarmth
    Great playing Chuck!  I think age/experience/consistency tops the 1 out of 10 300yd bombs that the younger guys hit. Whats that saying: Drive for show and putt for dough. Sounds like you were money on the greens. Good luck in the semi's.

He was the younger buck by 12 years and fortunately I outputted him, but I was the one with the long driver (normally 20 yards  plus on every drive) ...I seem to have gotten longer with age and can hold my own with most at the course .....can reach 290 if I really step on it and not swing to hard.....soft hands and in control is the secret.....overswinging is my downfall..........he tried mind games on a couple of short putts and would not concede and my response was "game on".......made me buckle down....appreciate all the support....the semi's will require total concentration and a lot of luck.....golf is 10 percent skill and 90 percent luck....right....thanks.....cz : )  

• 1362 points

Hey Chuck! Congrats on making it through to the semis. I too have advanced now through to the final on the weekend after Labor Day. Can I ask your strategy for when you said 'game on' to yourself? I need a go to thought for when I don't have the momentum.

•  

Ah ... the old 36 handicap ... those were the days ... can still remember starting at 13 year with 36 ... unfortunately though that didn't last long ... wouldn't it be great to get 2 shots on a par 3 these days (and sometimes I still even need them).

NOW CZ ..she.. may be a lovely person and all but sounds to me like there is some sort of shonky business going on  ... but seriously sure your all round game and winning personality will intimidate her greatly ... so start with flattery and then keep telling her what a tough game golf is and/or that she should always respect her elders ... and hopefully you'll prevail in the end.

Sure you will fun regardless of the outcome.

•  

Thanks crocman.....she is our cartgirl and don't think she will buy into that because she hears all kinds of ******** all day long....if I start th elder routine she just calls us dirty of men and laughs......everyone at the course tells me just to mail in my surrender.....NOT....I'm going to play this thing out....we play Wednesday at 906am......no shonky business here, she is about 40 years younger......should be an interesting match.......fairways and greens.....and the ole USGA rule book......and for Joseph...."game on" meant I am on to you and I am ready for the challenge......it worked.....cz  : )