Member Milestones With Inactive People

Member Milestones With Inactive People

•  

Each day as I review the Member Milestones I notice a lot of people on the list that have longer anniversaries (3 or 4 years) have not been active or posted comments in a long time (sometimes in over 2 years!).  At what point does a Member become "inactive"?  By inactive I mean lose their title of gold (etc..) or ability to receive their name on such honor roles as Member Milestones?  Just curious...I can see pros and cons to this one but would enjoy seeing if anyone else has pondered this...

•  

I follow your logic on this.  But since it's a free moderated forum, the only fair way would be to make contests to "active" posters or new joins to the site.

There are plenty of members that rarely if ever post on the boards anymore except when contests/gatherings are announced.

TT

•  

maybe something like if you haven't posted in over a year, you aren't show on the Member Milestones?  hard to take away a status they earned.  especially when we don't know why they aren't here.  i would hate to see someone get to gold status and then have health or family reasons that keeps them away for a year or more and they lose their status.  honestly, i hardly ever look at the member milestones unless someone points one out since i don't usually recognize the names.

• 1475 points

I think if you don't post anything in a good time period, you forfeit your points to me!!  

•  

I like Chris' idea, but that might pose a problem if you took away someone's status from a free forum.  I don't think FJ would want to create and field those types of complaints.  It would be a nightmare.

• 4617 points

I am not sure why this should be an issue for active members. Clearly, people sign up for contests when the contest is subject simply to joining the site. FJ obviously seeks to increase brand awareness and this contest strategy is effective. Active members do see benefits: Beyond the excellent discourse on all sorts of topics and friendships forged, there are contests that only those actively aware of the FJC would catch. I suspect that the contest folks are not as aware of the giveaways for FJ pro tourney winners..

• 3688 points

The nice thing is - everyone knows who's active and who's not.  Sort of self policing if you will.

As to the contests / etc - we'll always get people who are one and done.  They sign up in hopes that they'll win and never show back up.  Just the nature of the beast!

•  

All good pionts, glad I don't have to make these decisions.

•  

Two angles here, and both have been discussed.

Forums- Open to anyone and all are welcome to participate. That's why this is a Community and what separates FJ from the rest. The more you participate, the more you become entrenched in what goes on here, and by doing so, you accrue equity for the future.

Milestones- Once you achieve something (Bronze, Gold, FJA) those anniversaries are big. And once you hit 'em, you've earned 'em. However, not unlike the airlines rewards systems, to continue to leverage the equity you have, you must continue to participate to a certain level.

As Chris has said, if you hit FJA, you need to contribute a certain amount over time to continue to maintain that status. Could be minimal, but still needs to be something. Will you show up on anniversary board? Maybe, but after a certain period of inactivity, you should, IMO, gradually migrate off.

Remember, many come here to ask questions and then they are satisfied and move on. And that's OK. Many want to be part of the bigger conversation, and become fixtures. Some come to become FJA, go to an event, and then move along to the next passion. All are fine so long as everyone is held to the same standards and then let the chips fall where they may.

•  

I don't want to see inactive members going to events or getting things, that's just Todd's real talk... If you're inactive over a year, drop a notch, two years- reapply!

•  

As I suggested sometime ago in other thread about this same subject, to keep FJA status, each member should have a minimum of entries or points. For all of us who are really involved with FJ Community this won't be an issue, but it will help to select real members from "the others". Including, this could help to increase the benefits of being member (FJA).

•  

I think I should elaborate, that everyone is entitled to periods of time of inactivity due to personal reasons (illness, etc...); I was primarily addressing those members that join and then never return...great points thus far!

• 4617 points

TNT009
    I don't want to see inactive members going to events or getting things, that's just Todd's real talk... If you're inactive over a year, drop a notch, two years- reapply!

If someone wants to spend the $ to more or less buy their way into Ambassador status, you can be sure that Foot Joy will not complain! And if they buy a bunch of MyJoya, have they not fulfilled their obligation to actively participate at the site?

I like the idea of some ongoing minimum activity. We all have those hurdles with loyalty programs for airlines, rental cars, etc...

•  

I'm fine with buying shoes for status, but then you get FJA status and never chat it up.. That's my issue.

pistolpete
    TNT009I don't want to see inactive members going to events or getting things, that's just Todd's real talk... If you're inactive over a year, drop a notch, two years- reapply!  If someone wants to spend the $ to more or less buy their way into Ambassador status, you can be sure that Foot Joy will not complain! And if they buy a bunch of MyJoya, have they not fulfilled their obligation to actively participate at the site?

I like the idea of some ongoing minimum activity. We all have those hurdles with loyalty programs for airlines, rental cars, etc...

•  

pistolpete
    TNT009I don't want to see inactive members going to events or getting things, that's just Todd's real talk... If you're inactive over a year, drop a notch, two years- reapply!  If someone wants to spend the $ to more or less buy their way into Ambassador status, you can be sure that Foot Joy will not complain! And if they buy a bunch of MyJoya, have they not fulfilled their obligation to actively participate at the site?

if you put in the time or money to become and ambassador, you've earned it and maybe should keep it.  but if you become and ambassador and then leave for a year or more, you shouldn't be able to come back as soon as there's a giveaway of something.