Yardage Books

Yardage Books

• 5448 points

How many of you guys who play tournaments make your own yardage books? Or do you find that they don't exclude GPS yardage devices?  Or do most of your Clubs publish books -- what about when on the road?  I'm playing in one this weekend and they don't allow the units; what a pain.  Just made a book using yardages from Google Earth. Kind of cool, but also kind of a pain.

Curious.

•  

Sometimes the PGA Tour Yardage Books are available from Strackaline (www.strackaline.com) otherwise I do not make my own....There have been a large number of posts on Golf Wrx where guys have explained how to make your own.  Seems like a lot of work for one tournament unless you play the course frequently....IMHO

• 5448 points

Interesting. Hadn't come across Strackaline before. I'll check'em out. Thanks.

• 5586 points

I like yardage books. I buy them at every course that I play per availabilty.  A good yardage book is better than GPS. I make notes on mine. Reminds me I am going on vacation and will need to pull out books from courses that we will be playing again.

•  

Another reason why I don't play tournaments. I play gold for enjoyment and to remove stress......

• 1362 points

Strackaline! Had never come across this before but looks great!

I personally buy the yardage books from the course and use it for notes, scoring and memories.

•  

Tar Heel
    Another reason why I don't play tournaments. I play golf for enjoyment and to remove stress......

Amen

•  

Used mine today at Torrey with Don, I make notes about the breaks on greens.

•  

i don't bother since the only tourneys i play are for fun and something different.  plus i haven't run into a tourney that didn't allow GPS or range finders.

however, i have thought about making one for the courses i play the most.  but honestly, for the courses i play all the time, a yardage book isn't needed since i've learned what to hit where.  so i probably wouldn't use it.

•  

Tar Heel
    Another reason why I don't play tournaments. I play gold for enjoyment and to remove stress......

agreed!  if i want stress i'll just go to work.

•  

I made yardage books in college for tornaments but it wasn't anything crazy. for example my notes would be: "consider 3 wood off tee if wind at back" "bunker reachable with driver" "take an extra club on approach" and so on. I drew out the greens and the direction of the slope which was really helpful. I would know what kinda of putt I faced even before I read it.

• 3548 points

I typically use my Skycaddie for yardages (if legal) but, I'll use a yardage book as well. I will make notes in my books about the green slopes and where and where not to miss shots. I have made a couple green only maps where a yardage book was not available at the course. It is kind of a pain but, if you are serious about tournament golf it's definitely a useful tool.

•  

I have yardage books for courses I play often and always try to get one or make one for competitive tournaments, just a good tool to reassure your self to be able to commit to a shot

•  

Am playing in a tournament this weekend.  They allow use of measuring devices as long as they do not include wind and elevation.  My Bushnell is my best friend for accurate yardage.  I trust it and use it.  I try to play at least one practice round to get a feel for the course, but most of the tournaments I play in are annual invitationals and after a few years you get a feel for the course.

If it is a new course, then a practice round is important and my trusty Bushnell.  Good to know about Google Earth if I run into that issue.      

•  

I'm a hugh fan of yardage books. Would much rather use one than a GPS or Laser rangefinder. Here are a couple of pictures from one that I have used for a little tournament in Scotland....