How about TW cursing again?

How about TW cursing again?

•  

The T man seems to have his way on the course.  Cursing seems to be part of his game and he seems to get away with it.  Is it fair to the game and the rest of the tour.  

•  

as much as i'm not a TW fan, i'm not going to jump all over him for this.  i've done it.  should i? no.  but i have and so have many other pros other than tiger.  he should try to tone it down, but the more technology grows and the easier it is to capture sounds on the course, the more you're going to hear this.

• 4177 points

Yes, I curse on the course.  It happens.  Unless he's cursing out spectators or doing it every single shot.  Then I see no problem.  You're going to be upset on bad shots (more so in the Pros case as they have a lot riding on each shot).  He isn't the only one that does it and he won't be the only that has ever done it.

•  

Unfortunately, it is part of the game.  I am sure they all let one out once in a while, it just so happens the Tiger has a microphone within feet of him whenever he is out.  I certainly don't agree and think he should be more aware, but I am just as guilty and let them slip once in awhile.

•  

Not a big deal..... Even funnier was hearing Els drop a bomb!

• 5013 points

Nothing I haven't heard in my too numerous forays onto the public courses of Bethpage and elsewhere! However, one might think that sponsors, TV, PGA Tour and others (Tiger's agent) might ask him to tone it down, "for the good of the game" and ratings, sponsor dollars, etc...Nobody would criticize Tiger for frustration - he is a competitive guy - but I find it runs counter to the image of the game  - another guy with a bit of an attitude who needs to zip it is Bubba Watson...Screaming at his caddy when he misses a shot....His outbursts as well as Tiger's are actions I expect fro immature players..

• 4735 points

I think they should take the mic off of him. I think at the very least they should use the delay to bleep him. He gets a lot more camera time than any other player. We all know when he is playing poorly he is going to behave poorly. Cursing ,throwing his clubs...etc.

The ratings are significantly higher with him in the field.

He isn't going to be penalized for slow play either.

It is apparent that the golf spectators want to watch him play. Accept his flaws. I personally want him in the field flaws and all.

I understand your concerns and I am not trying to diminish them.

•  

i think they should put a delay on all of them.  they all do it in the heat of the moment, but there are a lot more cameras and mics on Tiger than there are on anyone else.

•  

I think as the father of kids that play golf they see this and consider it appropriate...

•  

One thing to consider, they are all just human like the rest of us. Some people are wired for more constraint, some are not. I try very hard to not curse on the golf course. It takes a lot of effort, and I'm just playing for fun. The pressure in a big tournament would make it even harder. However, it would be nice if Tiger could slow it down just a little, for the kids. :-)

• 5013 points

Or Tiger could improve his golf swing...Better swing, less cursing! In all seriousness, he is a role model in rehab and he is doing nothing for his reputation swearing..other than to confirm to many his is a petulant, spoiled, out-of-touch "golfer".

And I like the guy! His competitiveness, dedication and work ethic ARE to be emulated, in my opinion...

•  

Chris92009
    I think as the father of kids that play golf they see this and consider it appropriate...

this is something i have become much more aware recently.  i don't want my kids to grow up thinking it's ok to curse and through a fit if things didn't go their way.  but at the same time, i hope to use those times as "teaching moments" to show them what not to do.

•  

Hard answer, because on Saturday I hit a shot and said EXACTLY the same thing. So there are no choir boys (or girls) out in life. The difference is that there aren't millions of people listening to me. so..................

This falls to the broadcast folks. If everyone knows he (or others) are going to curse, then turn of the mics. Over and over in every sport the microphones are there and when someone throws out an F Bomb everyone is appalled and apologizes. For what? I played semi-professional hockey, and what TW said is nothing compare to what we said on ice. Ask Mondo what he hears as a referee out there from all ages. It ever present and all over....

Now that said, TW has been likened to a frat boy who does as he pleases and has his own way. I'm always in agreement when I hear that, because if you look with a critical eye you see the demeanor of one who never sees himself as wrong or doing anything that is over the line. Some people are mortified when he swears on TV or spits on the course, but he never even realizes he's doing it. This is just his make up.

So pull the mics from every player, go with tape delay, or shut up because you know whats going to come out of his mouth. Mine too....

• 4735 points

Tar Heel
    Hard answer, because on Saturday I hit a shot and said EXACTLY the same thing. So there are no choir boys (or girls) out in life. The difference is that there are millions of people listening to me. so..................

This falls to the broadcast folks. If everyone knows he (or others) are going to curse, then turn of the mics. Over and over in every sport the microphones are there and when someone throws out an F Bomb everyone is appalled and apologizes. For what? I played semi-professional hockey, and what TW said is nothing compare to what we said on ice. Ask Mondo what he hears as a referee out there from all ages. It ever present and all over....

Now that said, TW has been likened to a frat boy who does as he pleases and has his own way. I'm always in agreement when I hear that, because if you look with a critical eye you see the demeanor of one who never sees himself as wrong or doing anything that is over the line. Some people are mortified when he swears on TV or spits on the course, but he never even realizes he's doing it. This is just his make up.

So pull the mics from every player, go with tape delay, or shut up because you know whats going to come out of his mouth. Mine too....

I am equally guilty...I hit more bad shots though.

•  

it was perfect because I had my 3 year old on my lap watching and then turned over to my wife right after.  I got a nice glare that not only was I watching golf but I'm corrupting our children.  :-)