Out of My Match Play Championship

Out of My Match Play Championship

•  

Well, gang, I got run over by another buzz saw today in my second--and last--match in my club's Match Play Championship.  I had lost my first round match, giving 5 strokes, in 21 holes while shooting 77.  Not bad for me.  Today, I gave six strokes and lost 3&2 while shooting 74!  My 15 handicap opponent also shot 74--matching his best ever round.  Ouch!

• 2956 points

You gotta wonder and scratch your head when a 15 shoots a 74. Tough luck.

•  

You played well!  But, it's unfortunate to run in to what a "handicap number" could do in a competition.

A 1.5 shoots 74 with good efforts.  But a 15 is a 15. . . If I was the 15 and be that lucky, I would spend the time in Las Vegas instead.

• 2781 points

That's tough luck.  Same thing happened to my buddy last year.

•  

A 15 shoots 74? The USGA says that can't happen. The bright side, you're playing well Ted! Keep it up buddy.

•  

For sure someone forget to update your opponent handicap. 74 for an HcP 15 isn't acceptable even if it's his best round.

•  

Well, this 15 is a friend with whom I play an event every fall.  He doesn't play much--only the third time this year for score, so his handicap is not based on really recent rounds.  He has been practicing a good bit, though, because he's bringing his daughters to the range to learn to play.  He just had an exceptional day:  long straight drives, second shots on the green or the fringe, and some good putts.  He had one bogey and one birdie on the front 9 (to my three and two), and three bogeys and a birdie on the back (to my three and two).  It really was a good match; I just played poorly on the par 5s, hitting at least one tree on each of them, and finishing two over for the day on the 5's.  It's life in the world of handicap golf.  As one of the pros said to me afterwards, "You shot well under your handicap (7), just not on the right holes.

•  

I feel your pain.  We play with handicaps in my weekly group.  It stinks to shoot a great score only to get beat by a guy with a 15 to 20 handicap.  Oh well.  I guess it's about as fair of a system as you could get.

•  

Shouldn't happen but does more often than not.  We have the same type guys at our course who seem to shine every other tournament.

TT

•  

Shake it off and move on pulplvr.

There are so many shonky handicaps out there, both intentional and sometimes accidental, and all you can do is play your best which you obviously did and hope that is good enough.

Unfortunately in matchplay knockouts the bandits usually come out in droves.

•  

pulplvr
    Well, gang, I got run over by another buzz saw today in my second--and last--match in my club's Match Play Championship.  I had lost my first round match, giving 5 strokes, in 21 holes while shooting 77.  Not bad for me.  Today, I gave six strokes and lost 3&2 while shooting 74!  My 15 handicap opponent also shot 74--matching his best ever round.  Ouch!

YEAH...he's a 15...too bad pulplvr, you got sandbagged!!!!

•  

Ouch!  Where is your handicap committee?  That stinks because there is no way that should happen.  A 15 can have a career round and break 80, but not a 74 (unless he had several hole-outs and monster putts ).  

• 4180 points

A 15 could shoot a 74, but it'd have to be his best day ever.  Since you play with him you at least know the deal and know he's not gaming the system too much (however if he IS practicing that much he SHOULD be playing rounds for score as it'll bring his HC down).

The handicap committee should take care of this if they truly care about keeping things as fair as possible.  It would be a tough one though.