CONSTELLATION SENIOR PLAYERS VISIT

CONSTELLATION SENIOR PLAYERS VISIT

•  

WENT TO THE SENIOR PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP LAST WEEK AT FOX CHAPEL GOLF CLUB IN PITTSBURGH. WAS A GREAT TIME SEEING THE MANY PLAYERS I GREW UP WITH. ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT WAS THAT I AM OLDER THAN ALL OF THEM.

I GREW UP PLAYING FOX CHAPEL AS I AND MY BROTHER WERE ALLOWED TO PLAY THERE EVERY MONDAY ON CADDY DAY. MY DAD WAS THE BUSINESS MANAGER AT SHADY SIDE ACADEMY WHICH IS ACROSS THE ROAD FROM FOX CHAPEL. THE CLUB MANAGER AT THE TIME (TONY MELLE) HAD LOST HIS HOUSE IN A FIRE ONE SUMMER AND MY DAD GAVE HIM A HOUSE TO LIVE IN ON THE SHADY SIDE ACADEMY CAMPUS UNTIL HE GOT HIS HOUSE REBUILT. HE NEVER ASKED TONY FOR A PENNY TO USE THE HOUSE. TONY ASKED MY DAD WHAT HE COULD DO TO THANK HIM FOR THE USE OF THE HOUSE AND MY DAD ASKED HIM IF HIS BOYS COULD PLAY AT THE CLUB ON MONDAYS. TONY SAID ABSOLUTELY SO MY BROTHER AND I PLAYED THERE UNTIL WE WERE MOVED AWAY FROM HOME AFTER COLLEGE.

INTERESTING THING ABOUT FOX CHAPEL IS THAT THE COURSE HAS NOT CHANGED ONE BIT SINCE I PLAYED THERE AS A BOY. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE AMOUNT OF UNCUT GRASSY AREAS WHERE YOU CAN GET IN TROUBLE. OTHER THAN THAT, IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT WAS YEARS AGO....A TESTAMENT TO THE QUALITY OF THE COURSE.

•  

It's always great to return to courses where you grew up playing, to see how things have changed (or not, in this instance) and it is amazing how the memories just flood back.

Sounds like you had a great time and it's always good to see some of the old timers still ripping it around.