Sergio at Merion

Sergio at Merion

• 5235 points

Will he protested, heckled, or simply ignored?

• 3067 points

All of the above  probably

•  

He and TW shook hands this morning.. I hope fans will be professional about it..

•  

Their should not be any of that going on.  Golf fans and players are still gentlemen and will respect other players right or wrong.

TT

• 5235 points

I would agree with you TT. However it is Sergio; people don't like people who don't take responsibility for their actions. I expect him to get a bit from the crowd. He is lucky the tournament is not in New York.

•  

Any proper golf fan will shut up and respectfully watch Sergio. Unfortunately, there will be those "less informed" who act badly.

He has aplogized. Move along.

•  

The US Open at Bethpage Black was where he was mercilessly heckled for the constant waggling.

I'm certain he will be heckled and can pretty much guarantee he won't be ignored by anyone but TW because the media will try to go pretty hard.

•  

Apology Indeed Made

www.cbssports.com/.../photo-tiger-woods-and-sergio-garcia-shake-hands-at-us-open

But booing possible but lets hope not for the stake of the great game of golf.....

www.guardian.co.uk/.../sergio-garcia-us-open-fried-chicken

•  

I hope that he can just play and that not happen.

He appologized to the one he offended.

• 5264 points

Having played at Bethpage for the better part of twenty years, I would say that the crowd at the Opens held there are indeed outspoken, animated, and not afraid to voice opinion  - positive  or negative on many issues. It is part of the NY region culture. Whether that culture extends to a Philadelphia-centered crowd, I could not say. But regardless of crowd, the remarks uttered by Garcia were deserving of criticism and for many betray an underlying attitude of racism at worst and engocentric, entitles, immaturity at best.

While Tiger took the high road understanding that from his perspective there is no value to be gained from extending this controversy, I think Garcia  will remain something of a pariah. That may indeed be reflected by people in the crowd at Merion. However, in the best of golf tradition, those who found Garcia's remark offensive would have a far greater impact in expressing their displeasure by simply not reacting at all. No cheers, no boos for Sergio. Silence.

•  

Given it's in Philadelphia, there probably will be an abundance of heckling at Sergio and anyone else playing. However, once Sergio finds a way to shoot himself out of contention, it won't be a story. Besides, the crowds may be relatively small.

• 4420 points

As mentioned above I certainly hope the heckling doesn't happen.  He made a horrible decision but he's done what he can to come back from it (whether or not you think he's sincere).  If Tiger can drop it and play golf, we should all drop it and watch golf.

The media however will continue to push it and keep it at the forefront instead of letting it die and that IMO is almost worse than anything the fans might do.

•  

i hope most people respect the game, the players, and the other fans.  however, i've been to numerous sporting events in philly, so my guess, he's going to hear it loud and clear all week.

•  

I hope people show him the proper respect. let's move on. If he is playing well or badly I feel he will be given a hard time. If he is in the middle of the pack I think nobody will care much

• 3545 points

RANDYWILDMAN

I hope people show him the proper respect. let's move on. If he is playing well or badly I feel he will be given a hard time. If he is in the middle of the pack I think nobody will care much

I agree...if he's not a factor it probably won't be too bad but, if he is in contention, look out.