Community Only U.S. Open Sweepstakes

Community Only U.S. Open Sweepstakes

•  

It is U.S. Open week at the historic Merion Country Club just outside Philadelphia, PA. The U.S. Open is known for testing every aspect of a player's game: driving, putting, and iron play; but perhaps more this week than any other week on the PGA Tour, the U.S. Open will test mental toughness and players' ability to stay in the moment!

Champions are often defined by how clutch they can be in the heat of the moment.  What's interesting is that you don't have to be on the PGA Tour to feel the heat. We have all experienced making a birdie to win your club championship or holing a 5 footer to take home a 10 dollar nassau. We want to know what your most clutch moment was like. 

How do you enter?  Simply reply to this thread and tell us about the most clutch moment you have experienced on the golf course.

Three winners will be randomly selected on 06/17/13 and they may choose any DryJoys Tour golf shoe and any golf glove.

REMINDER : To enter you must have a community profile. If you do not have one, click here to register for the FJ Community - http://www.footjoy.com/myaccount/register.asp

Deadline for entry is 9:00 am ET on 06/14/13.  Void where prohibited. Open to US residents 18 years or older.  For additional rules and regulations click here. 

POSTS ALSO GO THROUGH A HUMAN MODERATOR, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT WHEN WAITING FOR YOUR POST TO APPEAR.

•  

probably 2 weeks ago for me during Monday night league. Nneeded to stick a wedge from 126 in and 1 putt to win for the night as my partner was having a very hard day. lined it up and stuck the wedge to about 10 feet. Made the putt and enjoyed a *** on the losing team. Was a great way to finish the round!

•  

My partner and I were playing in a 9 hole match and were one down coming into #8.  Our opponent had hit a beautiful shot right at the hole and looked to have a chance to close out the match.  My shot was struck crisply and looked to be heading close to the pin as well. As we made our way to the hole, only one ball was visible of the two that made the putting surface. After checking the hole, my ball had gone in and tied the match much to the dismay of our opponents (CG & Memphis).  We (Bruce & Tiger) ended the match all square and enjoyed our time on course #3 at Medinah compliments of FJ.

I want nothing in return for this submission, because the pleasure of attending the first FJA gathering was payment enough.

TT

•  

It wasn't clutch per se. But mine, much like Tim's, was a hole in one.

I was playing with my Dad on August 2, 2009 at my club in Michigan. Only 3 months earlier I had recorded my first ace ever, a feat I thought I'd never repeat. Well I stepped to the tee a hit a 7 iron that skipped into the hole for a ONE. My Dad has been playing golf for over 60 years and had never seen a hole in one ever. He was stunned.Then he started running around the tee box like he hit the dang shot.

It was about as priceless a moment as I've ever had with my father, before or since.

•  

Holing out a bunker shot on 18 to halve the hole and win the match 1 Up.

•  

The first one that comes to mind would be a 25 footer i had last summer with 20 on the line.  we were on the 18th hole and my partner had messed up, so it was up to me to save us.  i had been having a rough day, but stroked one perfectly, dead-center of the cup.

•  

The most clutch moment I've experienced recently was last week.  My son was all square in his Jr. PGA match going to the last hole.  Last hole was a good carry over water to an elevated green.  His partner hit one to the left which would have been a tough second shot.  My son stepped up and hit a beautiful shot over the water to the back of the green.  He and his partner got up and down for par and secured the point for his team.

•  

My clutch moment of the year started with the RI State AM qualifier a few weeks ago.  I was trying to qualify at Fenner Hill, a course in Hope Valley RI I have never played before.  While taking my clubs out of the back of my car, I overheard the starter saying "Brian Donahue, you are on the tee."  I ran from the back of my car to the tee, with no warm-ups, practice swings, ect.  Started out with a smooth triple, followed up by a tasty double.  Tough start to say the least at 5 over after only 2 holes.

Finally started getting my game in shape, and ended up going into the final hole @ 5 over, playing the last 15 holes even par.  I knew the cut line was going to be close to 77 / 78, so I had to bear down coming into the 18th.  Hit a good drive up the middle and ended up in some brush around a rock in the center of the fairway that had not yet been cleared.  Had to take a drop as the ball was unplayable and finished with a bogey to make the cut at 6 over par = 78.  Getting up and down from the fairway on a very difficult 3 teired green, allowed me to move on to the RI State AM proper in July.  Without my FJ logo'd ProV1, I am not sure I would have been able to move on....Thanks FJ and Titleist for giving me the opportunity to play with a ball I can trust and shoes I know will perform.

Looking foward to the tournement proper and will certainly be more timely getting there this time.

-Brian

• 5351 points

It is the ninth and final hole of a big match. My high school golf team is even with our opponent. My match, also even, comes to the final hole. I step up onto the tee and realize that my team and the outcome of the match rests on my play on this hole. I win the hole, I win the match, and the team wins. I am a bundle of nerves as I step onto the tee and get ready to play. Despite my racing heart and flushed face, I somehow knock the ball down the fairway on this 425 yard par 4 finishing hole. My opponent in the match does likewise. I am away by a couple of years. The wind is still in the late afternoon sun of late May. I size up my approach to the green, a back to front sloping affair with undulations and traps on either side of the front ready to catch errant approaches. I select my club, a five iron. I address the ball, breathe deeply and look up to see ALL of the teammates from each squad and coaches surrounding the green's back side. All those faces expectantly waiting for our shots - The nerves fired up anew and the clammy grip I had on the club seemed like I was holding a live snake! I addressed the ball, struck it and miracle of miracles, I landed the shot on the green, 20 feet from the hole. My opponent also hit his second shot on the green, just outside of my shot. We looked at our putts and I watched closely since my opponent had roughly the same putt and line as me and had to putt first. As I watched his line up his putt, I realized for the first time that he was sweating bullets and was as nervous and tight as I was! He hit his putt..and it missed leaving him three or so feet for par. He marked and it was my turn. Having seen how nervous he was standing over his putt, I realized we were in this spot together - I was not alone. And that thought put this moment into perspective - This was golf, a game, and a match - But not life and death. Enjoy it! I lined up my putt, drew back my antique Ping Anser and popped the ball  - the roll was true and the putt found the bottom of the cup. A bit of perspective in the heat of the moment was all I needed to accomplish the task, meet the goal, and win the match.

The ball: Titleist  - balata -  compression 90. We got a new ball from the coach before each match. Somehow, that ball made it through the entire match,  a rarity given my inconsistent ball striking and the tender covers of the balls in those days.

The clubs: Wilson Staff muscle backs - far too stiff for my game of the day. I still have those clubs, bought used for $25...Still cannot hit them very well!!

• 52 points

the most clutch moment when I was on the course was when I had to pick up my  playing partner from the dumps.My partner and I made the turn at three under in a stroke play event. The leading pair were talking smack in their knickers and 1930's sweaters.We were grouped with these two people,because we were in 2nd place before the event started that day.After I gave my partner a pep talk,we were like seve and jose maria.The lead group took their sweaters and threw a fit because they could not get the job done.Me and my partner won the event by three strokes and walked away a winner.

•  

Ty Webb: Wait a minute guys... I don't play golf... for money... against people.

Being a late starter in golf, I don't have any real competitive rounds where a "clutch" moment would really stick out. But the best for me would be a round at Torrey Pines South from the 7,000 yard blue tees. After a very good drive and 3 wood onto the 18th green, I had a seven foot putt for eagle. I made that putt and shot 35 on the back 9 for the first time under par on that nine. Not quite the pressure I felt the first time I bowled a 300 game, but that was in competition!

•  

In the trap on 18 green Pebble Beach. Probably about 20 ladies dressed in their finest watched from a distance as I blasted to with in an inch of the hole. As I nonchalantly knocked the sand from my shoes a number of the ladies applauded. I lightly doffed my hat and decided to make the walk to thank my newly found fans.

Now for the clutch moment:

As I neared the group I was stopped dead in my tracks as it became apparent these women were much older than me.

I quickly explained to the nearest lady who had a striking resemblance to the "Crypt Keeper"  that I would love to stay and visit but I had already made plans with my best friends who in all actuality I had only met that morning. Then thanking them for their support I made a hasty retreat.

•  

bholley

In the trap on 18 green Pebble Beach. Probably about 20 ladies dressed in their finest watched from a distance as I blasted to with in an inch of the hole. As I nonchalantly knocked the sand from my shoes a number of the ladies applauded. I lightly doffed my hat and decided to make the walk to thank my newly found fans.

Now for the clutch moment:

As I neared the group I was stopped dead in my tracks as it became apparent these women were much older than me.

I quickly explained to the nearest lady who had a striking resemblance to the "Crypt Keeper"  that I would love to stay and visit but I had already made plans with my best friends who in all actuality I had only met that morning. Then thanking them for their support I made a hasty retreat.

"much older than me" Man, that's OLD.  :-)

As Kojak would say - "Who loves you baby".

•  

I would say it was holding off Dallin H on the back 9 of Rhode Island Country Club last fall to earn a point for Team Gmitter!  

Rob Kelley and I (but mostly Rob) carried Team Devo to win the front 9 vs. Tyler and Dallin.  After struggling early on the back 9 I hit clutch shots keeping the ball in play on the scenic last four holes.  First time I've ever played any type of tournament format.  :-)

• 2795 points

I was in a bunker at the eighteenth at Muirfield Village  with a the ball buried and there quite a few folks close enough to  watch. I had visions of needing at least two strokes just to get off the beach. I didn't sink it but came  within a few inches of the hole.  People actually thought  that I knew what I was doing.