Golf Books

Golf Books

• 4743 points

I am looking for a couple of good golf books to add to my summer reading list. Suggestions?

I am interested in learning more about course design and how to maintain a course.

•  

Good ones include Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book" and Michael Murphy's "Golf in the Kingdom".  Lots of others out there are worth reading, depending on what you're looking for in a golf book.

• 1466 points

Little Red Book is great, one of my personal favorites is A Course Called Ireland by Tom Coyne, he walks all over Ireland to play different coures, very very good!

•  

For great entertainment, insight and knowledge go with the Harvey Penick "Little Books' series.

Short sharp chapters on all things golf from instruction, stories. anecdotes and a lot of plain old common sense.

• 2706 points

If you like David Feherty's humor try his "A Nasty Bit Of Rough".  I usually reread it in the middle of the winter when I need a  golf

anti depressant.

• 4743 points

Here is the list I have read so far:

Penick,: Little Red Book

Hogan: Five Lessons

Dave Pelz: Most of what he has written. I have not read his book on putting.

Tom Coyne: Paper tiger

Hank Haney: Big miss

Lee Trevino: Snake in sand trap

John Richardson: Dream on

Probably a few more. I listed the ones that were good enough to keep.

• 4180 points

The next golf book I plan on reading:

www.amazon.com/.../0743508092

•  

Pete Dye has a pretty good book on designs!

• 239 points

For pure enjoyment I suggest "The Legend of Bagger Vance". The book is so much better than the movie.

• 2756 points

War by the Shore is pretty great...Cracking the Code is excellent.  I'm a big Ryder Cup guy so both are right up my alley.

•  

The Pro  by Butch Harmon.  Great insight into the the life of the Harmon boys and their Dad, 1948 Masters Champion Claude Harmon.

•  

zacho
    If you like David Feherty's humor try his "A Nasty Bit Of Rough".  I usually reread it in the middle of the winter when I need a  golf

anti depressant.

Will need to add this one to my reading list for the golf anti depressant quality alone. lol....However all the suggested reads sound interesting.....

• 4180 points

Agreed GGG - my book collection needs to increase exponentially.  I think I need to get my hands on a Kindle or a tablet of some kind so I can keep them electronically!

•  

If you have an interest in course architecture, you might try "The Anatomy of a Golf Course" by Tom Doak.  Relates how a course/hole is laid out to how it should be played.  

Another somewhat fun book is John Daly's "Golf My Own *** Way."

• 2474 points

Gzink96
    Little Red Book is great, one of my personal favorites is A Course Called Ireland by Tom Coyne, he walks all over Ireland to play different coures, very very good!

reading this one now and about half thru it -- I second Gzink96 suggestion.