GPS

GPS

•  

I can't live without my neo golf GPS but I am thinking about upgrading. I see where Golf Logix has software to download on to your smartphone but I think the screen might be a little small.

Any recommendations or any features that are are really helpful other than the normal front back and middle distances?

•  

I have a Upro, besides front middle and back yardages, you can download the gps mapping of the course on it and it will tell you the distance to hazards and bunkers or you can pick spots on the fairway and see how far it is to them. It

•  

I have tried the beta for the Golf Logix software on my BlackBerry. It is a major drain on the battery and I just made it through the round before the battery died. I normally get 2-3 days out of a battery charge. Other than that, it was OK but not great.

A dedicated GPS unit is the way to go.

I also have a uPro and I think it si the best one out there. Great price point, lots of courses, really easy to use. I have tried most of the units out there and this is the one I own.

•  

I like the mark feature.  It can really help you dial in your distances.

Tim

•  

Im a big fan of the UPro.  I have tried some other models and after getting used to it the UPro is by far my favorite to use.

•  

nickpoz

Im a big fan of the UPro.  I have tried some other models and after getting used to it the UPro is by far my favorite to use.

THANKS NICK! JUST CHECKED THE UPRO SITE. IF THE ANYPOINT FEATURE WORKS AS ADVERTIZED I CAN SEE WHY YOU AND OTHERS LIKE IT

•  

I do the SkyCaddie SG5 and I really like it.

•  

19hole

I have tried the beta for the Golf Logix software on my BlackBerry. It is a major drain on the battery and I just made it through the round before the battery died. I normally get 2-3 days out of a battery charge. Other than that, it was OK but not great.

A dedicated GPS unit is the way to go.

I also have a uPro and I think it si the best one out there. Great price point, lots of courses, really easy to use. I have tried most of the units out there and this is the one I own.

Thank you for posting that about Golf Logix.  I was looking into getting this for either the BlackBerry or IPhone.  Good to know not woth it.

•  

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but I find the real challenge is being taken out of the game with the GPS systems currently being used. They are nice and I have tried them, but I still like the challenge of determining the distance myself. If I fail in determining the distance, it is something I can only blame myself for.

•  

bholley, All of the uPro features are great. It is so easy to use the only instructions you get with it are a number of videos that are loaded onto the unit. I watched them one day when I was bored, but didn't need them to use the GPS.

•  

The UPro is very user friendly.  The satellite flybys are very useful on courses you haven't played before.

Tim

•  

eagle3

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but I find the real challenge is being taken out of the game with the GPS systems currently being used. They are nice and I have tried them, but I still like the challenge of determining the distance myself. If I fail in determining the distance, it is something I can only blame myself for.

I can see what you are saying but for me that would be like playing with Persimmon golf clubs.  With the technology that's coming out, I don't see why not try to stack the odds in your favor if you can get correct yardages and distances to bunkers or hazards, why not take them?

Stevie Williams or Bones could walk around the course with a SkyCaddie or uPro and grab yardages to write in the "play book" for all we know!  I don't like being wrong though, so maybe that has something to do with it!!  :)

•  

For me it is an issue with a lot of courses I play.  A lot of the public course only have 100, 150 and 200 yard markers.  That is just too much guess work.  If they would have marked sprinklers, I have not problem walking it off.  If all you have is 150 and 200 yeard marker, you could end up being a club off.