Dehydration

Dehydration

• 1466 points

If it is a pretty hot 80-85 degree day how much water do you find yourself drinking before and after the round?

I've just been dehydrated at the end of most rounds and need to drink more water!

•  

You need an electrolyte drimk which passes directly into your system.  Water sloshes around in your stomach and takes too long to absorb.   I use Clif Shot mixed in my water bottle.  There are many other brands also.  

• 4203 points

Doctor friend of mine told me once to drink water until you have to "go". You lose about a pint a night with regular respiration. I drink a glass or two when I get up of a morning. I drink about a pint of fluidsY ) ***water/sports drink) on the front 9 and another back 9. During the summer when it is 90 + you can pretty much double that amount.

You start losing fine motor skills when you are dehydrated.

• 4203 points

Here is a link to a Peer Reviewed Journal article regarding dehydration and golf.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/.../22190159

•  

I drink a bunch of water and always have some NUUN "electrolytes" or Zip Fizz "vitamins" in my bag.  I also always carry some chewing gum.

TT

•  

NUUN tablets or the like, dont need the sugar rush and eventual crash! Get good prices at REI!

•  

i just grab at least two bottles of water before the round.  and then i make sure to fill them at every water cooler on the course.  if it's really hot out, i force myself to drink a cup or two of water at every cooler.  you really can't have too much water.

• 3718 points

I generally drink 64 ounces or more during a normal day.  When golfing I can easily double that amount.  However the NUUN tabs or Zip Fizz vitamins are something I'm going to look into.

• 4647 points

Water works without all the additives  for me...

•  

With the passing of Ken Venturi, film clips show his dehydration at the '64 Open nearly cost him his life.  Not sure whether or not he was drinking fluids during those 36 final holes or not.  It was a dangerous situation.   Electrolye loss is serious.   There are plenty of products listed above by othersthat are far better than just water consumption.  As a Tennis Pro, I've used Clif Shot mix during 3 hour tournament matches in 100+ temps and never had a problem.  

•  

I drink Zip Fizz during a bunch a=of activities.  No sugar and healthy.  And they have different flavors to choose from.

http://www.zipfizz.com/

NUUN tablets are good source of Electrolytes/Hydration. And available in many flavors as well.

http://nuun.com/

Deno,  I will have to try the Cliff Shot out.  Are they available most anywhere?

TT

•  

Hey Tim

Clif shot is made by Clif Bars.  Their site sells online.  

•  

Deno
    With the passing of Ken Venturi, film clips show his dehydration at the '64 Open nearly cost him his life.  Not sure whether or not he was drinking fluids during those 36 final holes or not.  It was a dangerous situation.   Electrolye loss is serious.   There are plenty of products listed above by othersthat are far better than just water consumption.  As a Tennis Pro, I've used Clif Shot mix during 3 hour tournament matches in 100+ temps and never had a problem.

you're right about electrolyte loss, but typically water is all you need.  i've always gone by the rule, you only need electrolyte replacement if you are doing an intense physical activity for an hour or more.  as a runner, some of these electrolyte drinks actually do more harm if you don't "work hard enough" first.  for just an ordinary day on the course, water will give you the exact same benefits.  now if it's 100 degrees and you are walking, that changes things.

•  

Daily water in take -

Men - 3 Liters a Day

Women -  2.2 Liters a Day

Eating a healthy diet can provide about 20% of your water intake allowing the reduction of actual fluid intake.

www.mayoclinic.com/.../NU00283

Calculate how much water you specifically should be drinking....

nutrition.about.com/.../blwatercalculator.htm

•  

Tim,

Where do you get Zip Fizz?