" THE FIFTH MAJOR " ???

" THE FIFTH MAJOR " ???

•  

For years now the TPC has been called the Fifth Major.

What are your thoughts and if there was to be a fith major would it be this tournament or would you like to see something new.

• 5037 points

For my money, if you line up the top 100 players in a tournament and play it at the local muni, you have a great tournament. Fifth major is marketing hype at its finest, designed to keep people interested in watching golf during a 60 or so day window between the Masters and the US Open. The course is a brute for sure, but honestly, did the players dub this the fifth major? I suspect not...It  is indeed a great tourney given the depth of the field, but it isn't a major..

•  

CT and LPGA have five Majors, and remember when The Masters wasnt considered a Major!

• 4180 points

I say PP has it correct.  It's marketing hype.  Why does one tourney have to be "better" than the others?

Is it a reason for the tour to make sure they have as many of the best showing up at least four times a year (five if i you include the The Players)?  Probably.  Otherwise they'd have the best scattered throughout the season and the ticket / TV draws wouldn't be as great.

• 3503 points

5th Major = Jack's event in Murfielf if you ask me.

• 1550 points

I agree with dzabkar, I think Jack get's the nod with the Memorial.  

• 1466 points

I think what tournaments are more important than others is really up to how much emphasis the players put on it. If they want another major I'm sure there will be one

•  

There are 4 majors.  There are other tournaments such as  Jack's, this is the Players Championship restricted to tour players only.  Senseless discussion.

•  

the only reason the tour talks about a 5th major is because they are the one governing body left out of the "major" business.  if they had control over the PGA championship, you wouldn't even hear about this.

• 2485 points

I think tdogg21 has this one pegged.  

tdogg21
    the only reason the tour talks about a 5th major is because they are the one governing body left out of the "major" business.  if they had control over the PGA championship, you wouldn't even hear about this.

•  

PGA Moved the Flagship Event to May in hopes that the reposition would align it to become

•  

PGA Moved the Flagship Event to May in hopes that the reposition would align it to become  the fifth major....Although it's the richest event the TPC Saw Grass  venue limits it.....Many players do not like the course and stay away fro the tournament.....

•  

I don't like the idea of adding a new major but if they do I want it to be the memorial tournament to be the 5th major

•  

If it was selected, it would be only the 2nd course to hold an annual major as all of the others are on some type of rotation.  I would certainly agree that the field year over year is strong enough to hold it, but I like that there are only 4.

Just my lonely opinion.

•  

Players acts like a major in every aspect except for it counting as a "major" win. Biggest purse in golf, one of, if not the best field in golf, and a tournament that everyone typically plays at. It is what it is, changing the title wouldn't really do anything other than give Tiger more chances to break Jack's record, wouldn't that irk some people?