Wedges

Wedges

• 4203 points

Bounce. Has anyone been fitted for wedges?

I have been fitted for drivers, irons, and a putter.

I live in Dallas, Tx typical course here has tight, dry fairways. My set consists Gap 52  8 bent to 49 , 56 8, and 60 4. I am curious what everyone else thinks about being fitted for wedges.

•  

i would like to get fitted for my wedges, but there aren't many (if any) places near me that will do it for a reasonable price.  if you can get fitted and try some different options, that is definitely the way to go.

i'm not an expert and it depends on how you use it, but that's not very much bounce on your Gap wedge.  with it bent to 49*, your bounce is down to 5.  most likely, that what you like the best (I do too), but i just read an article where Bob Vokey said virtually all amateurs use too little bounce.  so i'm thinking of trying more bounce on my next wedge.  but if i get fitted, then i would know for sure.

•  

Have not been fitted for Wedges but took a Short Game Clinic yesterday which provided a new perspective on mixing it up a bit more between wedges and low irons....

•  

You should definatrely get fit for wedges. If you can't find a fitter, a least go to www.vokey.com and read as much as you can before you decide what to buy. Da Voke wrote the book on wedges and it is all on the website.

•  

Yes get fitted, makes a huge difference. Wedges are the scoring clubs and don't you want the perfect scoring club for your swing?

•  

I've played before being fit and afterwards (with new wedges) and it makes a WORLD of difference

•  

one thing i haven't been able to find online is proper length.  i went to +1/2 on my irons and love it.  made a huge difference for me.  but what about wedges?  i had read before to not lengthen your wedges (forget where i read that), but i feel like i should to get the most out of them.  anyone have any experience with that?

• 3718 points

One of the few additions I plan on making this summer is wedges.  I need to get fit properly but I'm leaning towards Vokeys (unless I hit something else that feels insanely better!)

• 4203 points

GSG,

Please share what you think are the best things that you learned?

I have scheduled to attend a Dave Pelz "Scoring clinic"  in June. I like his statsical approach to golf.

Regards,

MMW

•  

Yes, I got fit for wedges when I bought my 712 AP-2's last year.  We checked for proper lie and bounce, and went with the fitter said was the proper bounce.  I absolutely love the results--crisp contact from fairway, rough, and bunkers; terrific spin (especially for me) on the green (hit and grab).  Definitely worth the extra effort in your fitting.

•  

I think fitting is so important.  Also I have a set of wedges for winter golf and a set for summer. Different bounce. Wet winter, dry summer.  Last year I bought a wedge with my specs after 2 swings knew it was not right, one degree upright had me hitting off the toe. corrected it and sweet spot.

•  

I heard young Speith being interviewed before Houston where he said he was testing a lob wedge with virtually no bounce and was loving it.

No sure I know exactly how that would work but the concept / theory sounds vey interesting.

•  

from an article about Vokey with insight from Bob Vokey:

Good wedge players have mechanics that allow them to use wedges properly. They know how to use the bounce, which leads to more consistent wedge play because it prohibits the club from digging. Vokey has found that most regular golfers are not so skilled with their wedges. They don’t know how to use the bounce of a wedge, which leads to digging. That’s why more bounce is often better for them.

“There are more positives to a little more bounce than there are negatives,” Vokey said.

• 2180 points

I really need to get fitted for a set, however no where close does it... I'm gaming a vokey 60 4 and love it in our dryer conditions.. However playing softer conditions from time to time I defiantly have a consistency problem from digging just a little too much..

•  

etakmit
    One of the few additions I plan on making this summer is wedges.  I need to get fit properly but I'm leaning towards Vokeys (unless I hit something else that feels insanely better!)

You won't find anything out there that feels better than a Vokey wedge!