Golfers have ridiculous expectations

Golfers have ridiculous expectations

•  

thoughts??  some very interesting stats in this article.  and makes you think about your own game.  

www.golfwrx.com/.../golfers-have-ridiculous-expectations

•  

I read that too, and I have played with guys that have those ridiculous expectations. I try to only be disappointed with shots I don't pull off because of poor concentration. But only if I know that I have that shot in the bag most of the time. I know I'm no touring pro, you have to be realistic with your expectations. Otherwise you are just beating yourself up for no good reason.  

•  

"The Ivy League lawyer I spoke of earlier, well that kind of on-course behavior runs in the family. His father would attempt flop shots (which he was horrible at) from a place where Phil Mickelson would be hard pressed to get the ball within 30 feet. The results were predictable. He would advance the ball 6 feet in front of him from getting too cute, then the second shot would end up 30 feet, which is where it would have ended up with a normal chip, . . . "

The lawyer's friends must fund his morning limo every weekend. (lol)  sorry. . . couldn't help that one.

Anyway, I think the tour guys and tour courses which they play are not the same caliber courses or slope/rating nor the way they approach a green the vast majority weekend players play it in their local course.  I'm just saying that there are many times in the tour that they try to hit a certain location on the green in order to position them selves for a better putt-- their misses are from there and not the pin in those cases. . . unless the pins/holes are in those location that they know they can get close.  One who doesn't have a clue of what the greens might do when they send a shot directly at the flag and ends up 30-40 feet might be some of the case here.

But then I understand what moaners and complainers sound like. . . it does get old quick.

. . . just a thought.

•  

A really great article.  And I agree with it.  Sometimes our ego's get in the way of how we should play a shot.

TT

•  

Super article.  How true it is.  How often are you over the green? Not as often as short.

• 2801 points

great article -- have been using a similar philosophy regarding club selection for a number of years -- pro asked how often do you reach the flag -- how often does your club selection go long -- when you start overshooting the green then its time to take less club -- 15 hdcper by the way

• 2801 points

great article -- have been using a similar philosophy regarding club selection for a number of years -- pro asked how often do you reach the flag -- how often does your club selection go long -- when you start overshooting the green then its time to take less club -- 15 hdcper by the way

• 2801 points

• 4586 points

Wow great read!  Thanks for the link.  I agree with it entirely.  Once we stop trying to get overly cute or make very low percentage shots - your scores amazingly go down!  Now if only I could make myself do that!

• 5542 points

Excellent observations in this article - Ego, more often than not, overrules rational decision-making. Fascinating how humans over-estimate their abilities and prowess not only in golf, but in many other aspects of life's endeavors..Love those survey results that show how each of us just "knows" we are better than the next person -for instance, 80% of us are above average drivers...Or, as Garrison Kiellor's  radio show"A Prairie Home Companion" concludes its news segment states,

"That's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average".

Of course, once you've seen Seve hit one out of the back of  a muddy car park onto the green to ave par and win, how can you not be inspired to try that shot at least once??!

•  

i use to be this way.  that was the fault of being the longest hitter in jr. golf.  so i started to think i "should" be the longest hitter and i started expecting the "great shot" every time.  now i play MUCH less than i did back then, but my scores are the same.  all because now i play a lot smarter.  if i could play as much as i did back then and be as smart as i am now, i might be on to something!

•  

Right I'm going to try the advice in the article this weekend and see what it does to the scores. I think this game is very psychological and I have to admit that I am in need of a different frame of mind at present as I try, probably too hard, to get my scores down. I've joined a new club with a new course I'm not familiar with yet, so that adds to the confusion. I'll let you know how I get on. Hit a club that lands at the back of the green, go for the centre of the green, never mind the pin position and get the speed of the short put right seems to be the mantra for the weekend.  

•  

I am going to print that article out and hand it to all of my players. I have a couple guys that will throw a fit like a 2 year old if they miss a 30 ft putt by 2 inches, makes me sick.

•  

They 100000% do couldn't agree more! I fall into the trap often - my attitude is far better now then it ever was and viola, I shoot under par more!

•  

Game is pretty simple... hit a ball walk/ride after it...put it in the hole. Might as well enjoy yourself haha