Long Wand Winner of a Major - How will ruling bodies react?

Long Wand Winner of a Major - How will ruling bodies react?

• 5454 points

I wonder how the USGA and R&A found the victory by Adam Scott using an anchored putter? Does this firm their resolve to ban these clubs?

And what about the PGA Tour?  Will the victory change public sentiment?  

What is or will be the reaction of those proposing a ban on the anchored stroke?

Will Adam Scott's win  further popularize the long stick and its sales in the public arena?

How about pros on Tour? How do they react?

•  

i don't think it changes anything.  the ruling bodies will still want to ban it and the PGA Tour will still stand behind its players and support it.  i don't think it will affect amateurs at all.  i don't think i've ever seen one used on a course, so i don't think there is much push-back from the average joe.  

• 2801 points

I would agree with tdogg21 that the win won't affect the decision.  Though I am not sure that they will end up with the anchoring ban in the end. I think that the PGA stance has a greater impact on the final decision as well as any other significant comments they received which I don't believe we really know.  

i do disagree that the average joe does not care as fellow golfers I know who use the anchored method feel that it has helped them with the yips.  At our course a number of better players have become converts.  

•  

Pony
    I would agree with tdogg21 that the win won't affect the decision.  Though I am not sure that they will end up with the anchoring ban in the end. I think that the PGA stance has a greater impact on the final decision as well as any other significant comments they received which I don't believe we really know.  

i do disagree that the average joe does not care as fellow golfers I know who use the anchored method feel that it has helped them with the yips.  At our course a number of better players have become converts.

i think the ban will go through.  the USGA, R&A, and the Euro Tour are all supporting it.  i think the PGA Tour will be out numbered on this one.

i think it's interesting how some of the tour players say there is no advantage to anchoring and then will turn around and say it will ruin amateurs because it makes the game easier for them.  i just wish they could get their arguments straight.

•  

A double bogey for USGA.  Let people enjoy the game, if the Tour thought it was an issue they would have banned it a long time ago.

•  

Should've been banned long ago.  The USGA waited too long and maybe too late.   Adam Scotts anchor method elimates the nervous and  jittery hands that come with a short stick  under tremendous pressure.   He earned the Green Jacket fair and square under the Rules of Golf.     Three footers, with the short sick, can easily be pushed or pulled with nervous hands.   Anchored pendulum style steadies the club and the hands.

•  

tdogg21
    i don't think it changes anything.  the ruling bodies will still want to ban it and the PGA Tour will still stand behind its players and support it.  i don't think it will affect amateurs at all.  i don't think i've ever seen one used on a course, so i don't think there is much push-back from the average joe.

I played with a guy who anchored just like Adam Scott. He missed as many as he made. he did say he had quit the game before that and the long putter brought him back.

•  

It's a shame the Cabrera didn't use a long putter, he easily would have won. *sarcasic voice*

•  

RANDYWILDMAN
    tdogg21i don't think it changes anything.  the ruling bodies will still want to ban it and the PGA Tour will still stand behind its players and support it.  i don't think it will affect amateurs at all.  i don't think i've ever seen one used on a course, so i don't think there is much push-back from the average joe.

I played with a guy who anchored just like Adam Scott. He missed as many as he made. he did say he had quit the game before that and the long putter brought him back.

and that's my point.  people say it doesn't make a difference, but there is someone who uses it and thinks it does.  why don't they allow me to swing with one of those swing shirts?  then i would know the club would be in the right place each time.  on the one hand, i don't want to take away the enjoyment from a fellow golfer, but just practice with a short putter.  unless you have a medical reason (Parkinson maybe), learn to use the short putter.  i had a problem with my hands not being "smooth", so i practiced and got a lot better.  you can practice putting anywhere.  you don't even need a putter.

obviously, there are other things that could be looked at (the ball for one), but i think the anchored putter gives you an advantage.  and i hate when people say "well, i'm not the best putter on tour with the long putter."  that makes no sense.  the argument isn't whether it makes you the best putter, it's does it make you a "better" putter.

•  

AN OPINION FROM AN OLD MAN.

GOLF IS THE PRIORITY.

IT SHOULD BE PLAYED TO THE SAME SET OF RULES BY ALL.(MEANING THE RULES OF PLAY)

THESE "RULES CHANGES' ARE FOR TOURNAMENT PLAYERS AND IN NO WAY AFFECT MOST OF US "PLAYERS".

WHO REALLY CARES IF I USE "ILLEGAL CLUBS,BALLS, NUMBER OF CLUBS IN MY BAG,,,,,,AS LONG AS I PLAY BY THE

"ON COURSE RULES".

WHEN YOU PLAY IN A CHARITY OUTING, DO YOU THINK ANYONE CARES IF YOU HAVE 16 CLUBS IN YOUR BAG, USE AN "ILLEGAL" BALL OR HAVE "ILLEGAL" GROOVES IN YOUR CLUBS?

IN MY OPINION, THE RULES OF PLAY SHOULD BE FOR ALL,,,,,,,,,,,,,OTHERS OPTIONAL.

I'LL NOW SIGN OFF AND AWAIT MY UNDOING.LOL,LOL,LOL.

•  

Just like MLB, no metal bats.   Eveyone else up to NCAA metal.   PGA needs to make a decision.