Thoughts on Tiger's situation...

Thoughts on Tiger's situation...

•  

Ready...Go!

•  

Don't know how long this thread will last.  But here we go.

He should be disqualified for taking an advantage after dropping two yards back from the original site.  

But I'm not sure who made the ruling. Since it is a private tournament, does the Masters have the power to make their own rulings?

TT

• 696 points

He stated he moved the ball back 2 yards  to give himself an advantage.

He should DQ himself.

•  

Hope Devin let's this one keep it's legs for a bit, it's a pretty big deal.

•  

He got penalty and move on! That said I'm tired of spectators calling in and put an official with every group!

• 223 points

Don't think intent was really there; but, he should DQ himself ..... Better for golf

•  

The problem is that the Committee knew about the problem and deemed it no error. Then said nothing to Tiger in the Scorers Tent. It wasn't until Tiger talked to the press about the "two yard" drop that it became an issue. Then the Committee had to fix "their"  wrong. They should have said something to Tiger before he signed his scorecard. Could have been avoided if they had done that.  

•  

What would the other great players have done.....Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, Nelson, T Watson et. al.?  They all would have withdrawn from the tournament.........every last one of them.  Tiger won't because he has no class. He is all about himself and nothing else.  He cheats in life and now we know he...................................................

•  

He said he dropped where he did so he could get an advantage.  'Nuf said!  

• 1553 points

He said he did not know he had commited the penalty, he said he dropped where he did to get an advantage but did not realize it was outside the rules, and was not informed until after had signed his score card.  When you make a mistake at your office like I often do without realizing it, I have never been told I no longer qualify for my bonus structure or must take time off without pay, or am fired.  They explain what I did wrong and move on.  If it happens to many times then yes there are penalties to pay but it is my understanding he is a very upstanding person on the course and has not had rules infractions before.  Do you also realize how many rules and variations there are?  Give the guy a break.  I am not a Tiger fan but realize that none of us are perfect except God.

• 5351 points

Is Tiger playing today? I think you will find that his drop, while illegal, wasn't intentional. I seriously doubt he was aware he was dropping NOT according to the rules. That said, the rule interpretatuins need refining. An official on course can assess a penalty for slow play - why not have whoever is the rules person with each group take a more proactive approach? "TIger, you can't frop there. It ids supposed to be as close to the original spot as possible." Save everyone the aggravation and controversy. As to the current situation, Tiger shouid withdraw. Despite thepublic relations disaster, he would be a better player in all eyes, I think, if he "did the right thing."

•  

BRUCE

He said he dropped where he did so he could get an advantage.  'Nuf said!  

That does not mean he was trying to take an illegal drop. He could have just made a mistake. The problem is that the Committee knew there could have been an issue and did not ask Tiger about it before he signed his scorecard. If they had asked Tiger before he signed and he told them about the drop, it would have been a two stroke penalty for playing from the wrong spot. No different than what ended up happening. 'Nuf said.

•  

Lets face it the only reason he hit the flag was he mistakenly thought it was a fireplug

•  

The committee has ruled, let it go.  The interpretation of dropping in the vicinity is an issue. Don't think he got an advantage after such a lousy break hitting the pin. That is what you get for hitting too good a shot.  The second one was not so bad either.

• 2781 points

I think the rules committee got it right. There is no clear distance in the rule just "in the vicinity" of the original shot and not even they noticed until his post round comments.  Lets face it the only way Tiger was getting DQ'ed from a major was if he did it himself.