The Important Things

The Important Things

•  

I received a call today from one of my long lost rugby buddies. “Hey a********** thanks for the warning, glad to hear you are moving let’s celebrate” was the message on my voice mail. Ah it did not seem so long ago we were hoisting beers after a practice, a game, or just to be drinking beer.

We met later that day in a bar some would call a dive but “back in the day” this would have been a really nice place. Plus they had ladies tending bar who were quite pleasant and had all their teeth. After a few beers another of our old teammates showed up.

Many years had passed by and perhaps it was the alcohol but before long we had settled into our old ways of half mocking, always exaggerating, but light hearted banter. Maybe it was our age or our wisdom or lack thereof but the conversation flowed smoothly like the years had never aged us.

Like life the minutes at first went slowly but then it was all over in the blink of an eye. It was time to leave. As I walked out the door I understood it is not the game but your teammates.  Your friends are the things which are most important. It is not whether you won or lost or even how you played the game. Friends, those you love, those who love you, they are the really true important thing.

As I drove home in the dark a message showed on my phone,

“So long and thanks for the beer”.

• 1531 points

My dad had one of these moments last week.  He heard through another friend that one of his best friends and former teammates was back in the state and in the hospital. My dad went to visit him. Three days later, his friend was gone.  We are going to the funeral tomorrow. All I keep thinking is that it was great that my Dad dropped everything and went to visit his teammate. Thanks.

•  

Ah Bruce, you sentimental sod you.....

Every April I head to Myrtle Beach for a golf outing (reunion) with 15 of my friends, as I have for the last 14 years. Yes there is golf played. But there is also a huge amount of easy conversation and fellowship. I have commented in the community about how 2 our our commrades have passed away now, and how each years we remember and celebrate them in our toasts.

To our friends, near and far.... and thanks for the beer!

•  

I love it every time I go back to Colorado or meet up with my college hockey teammates- it's like time has stood still. I may have hands like bricks and a bit 'wider' frame now, but the post game celebrations are always the same.

•  

It's amazing the bond teammates share and how it is always there. Perhaps it is the familiarity created out of working so hard together for so long. Perhaps it's the feeling of regaining our youth. Whatever it is, I hope it never goes away.

•  

THANKS FOR THE STORY BRUCE.

YOU REMIMDED ME OF A COUPLE OF PHONE CALLS I'VE BEEN MEANING TO MAKE.

THANKS.

•  

Nothing better than seeing old friends and teammates to catch up and remember the good times once had. I think that is a key part of life, taking time to look back and enjoy where you have been. Helps shed light on the path you are taking now.

Thanks for the post Bruce, and Devo did not even have to edit this one! : )

•  

Nothing better than seeing old friends and teammates to catch up and remember the good times once had. I think that is a key part of life, taking time to look back and enjoy where you have been. Helps shed light on the path you are taking now.

Thanks for the post Bruce, and Devo did not even have to edit this one! : )