What is the Community and an Ambassador?

What is the Community and an Ambassador?

•  

Two questions come up on a fairly regular basis; what is this community and what's an ambassador. The second question is then quickly followed by a third, which is, "what do you get for being an ambassador?" Those of us that are more tenured here have had many interactions with the FJ Staff and visitors to the site regarding all three of these queries. The question has been part of the FJ home screen for some time as well. Personally, I've reflected on these questions many times, and very recently some aspects came into focus a lot more.

What is this community? Well it's a gathering place where anyone and everyone can come and talk about FootJoy and golf. There really isn't any topic that's too far out of bounds, unless one gets a bit too excited about competing brands of product. Remember, FootJoy is our most gracious host, and we owe them some courtesy in this regards. Over time though, we've touched on a great many topics....

As a community, this site is just like your favorite gathering place, not unlike your golf clubs bar, tap room, or dining room. You come in and grab a quick refresher and chat about things that are on your minds. You are encouraged to share your thoughts and opinions, while respectfully hearing the same from others who may offer a different point of view. This place is where you can come as often as you like, or as little, but you should always feel welcome.

As you spend time here, question two, "what is an ambassador, " should start to become more clear and emerge into your view. Ambassadors are men and women who have come to the FJ community and become a consistant part of interaction over a significant amount of time. We have been using FJ products long before this site was operational, and will have the same amount of love for the brands if this community site ever departs. Speaking for myself, FJ the brand provides a level of product quality far beyond any other golf brand in the market, and I tell anyone that asks frequently. People at the places I golf know what brand I wear, why I love it, and why I am involved. Most of those conversations end with a puzzled look on their faces and the comment, "and you don't work for them and they don't pay you?" I love this brand. Look in my closet or the trunk of my car and there is no mistaking where my loyalties lie.

When you come to this community and take the time to become part of this place, it is you and you are it. The community is friends who just happen to become ambassadors, and many ambassadors naturally become close friends, which leads to the third question, "what do you get as an ambassador?"

This one is easy and annoying all at once. It's annoying becasue many come here thinking that unless FJ "gives" them something for free that this place isn't worthwhile. I beg to differ, and here's why. What one gets as they spend time here is comraderie and friendship. I was reminded of this yet again over the past few days as Mike and Shaun visited from back east for our 2nd annual lefty open....

This place FJ has established has become the place where I have met so many people that have become part of my extended golf family. There are also people here who have become a more broad part of my everyday life. Friends that are too many to name, each special in so many ways, and whom I interact with on so many levels, both personal and professional.  

So ask the question, "what do I get when I become an ambassador" again. If you really become an integral part of the community, you give more than you get. What you get is far more more than any artifact. If you come and give freely of yourself without expectations of some personal benefit, you will ultimately receive far more in return. You will find friends you would never have access to in places you never would expect to reach. Friends in every sense of the word.

So FJ may indeed be "The Mark of a Player." But it is also so much more than that....

•  

Tar Heel, what a great way to to state this.  You are exactly spot on.  As I have not yet reached the FJA status, I feel that I have made many of friends across the country and in some cases across the pond.  I have gained valuable advice that has helped as well as enjoyed many of jokes that have made me laughed.  I look forward to the day I obtain this status, but I can tell you first and foremost, I am not on this site for "freebees".  

This community is a great place to share experiences, better understand products, learn from others experiences, but most of all enjoy your time trying to represent an organization most of us have come to trust and love.

that is what I would consider "The Mark of a Player".

• 5657 points

I am a relatively recent member of the Foot Joy Community. My initiation to the community was through a Foot Joy contest that I stumbled upon - I thought it was a neat presentation and the merchandise being given away was an outfit from one the recently concluded professional tournaments - Something along the lines of "dress like XYZ, winner of the week's Palooza Classic" . Knowing of the quality of FJ apparel and being a loyal wearer of FJ golf shoes, I took the plunge, signed up and started posting. I cannot remember the exact topic, but it had to do with distinctive and classy dressers on Tour - I decided to be a bit distinctive and threw out the Japanese Cowboy _ Shingo Katayama and his wild Asics shoes as features at the Masters a few years ago. It took about ten seconds before the replies flew in letting me know in no uncertain, and polite, terms that my suggestion that Shingo and his hat and shoes had "style" was not a point for debate...or further mention! Little did I realize I had posted a comment in a community that actually cares, reads, and uses critical judgement in dissecting and analyzing and responding. The BS meter had been pegged!

After that experience, I looked with new-found respect upon those who post here regularly. It is indeed a critically thinking, fun loving bunch of golf enthusiasts who will provide assistance to any who ask about anything - just ask! Including golf!!  I think that affiliation with quality is a theme more folks need to explore and as far as golf apparel and accessories goes, Foot Joy has reached a pinnacle of quality few hope ever to attain.

This site and the people here are about building a culture - FJ dedicates itself to service and  quality understanding that without those elements, they do NOT have a business. I see those involved here as equally dedicated to those ideas and mission. And yes, if you participate, good things will happen to you - First and foremost as TarHeel mentioned, you might meet some folks who you might know for a long time. And you will become a part of a community, a concept that happily Foot Joy promotes for it is one of the great Joys of life!

Thanks TarHeel for your  comments!    

•  

Ah the most asked questions!  Good posts, TH.

I have a feeling that because our host, FootJoy, is a leading brand, together with many of the contests that FootJoy sponsors out there makes some or many new comers or lurkers as you mentioned think something else outside of being an "FootJoy Ambassador" may be handed as a freebee.  

A FootJoy Ambassador is an honor, in my opinion.  He/She is a person with some or extensive knowledge about FootJoy products where he/she may lead or able to answer questions or suggest positive feedback.  Like you mentioned, it's all about the giving or serving others so they may learn a few more things about the great product we all love.

Here, along the way, we find friends and people we like, admire, laugh with and enjoy the time to discus some golf.

In my case, I had some help from each one of you who helped me become an FJA, at the same time, I also had some help slingshot my status because of the love I fell in with Icons/MyJoys.

I don't know everything about FootJoy, but I also have not stopped learning about it, from you, from its players, staffers. . . everyone in FootJoy.  I just have to keep my eyes open.

As for rewards, I get to play golf in the best types of shoes in the market.  THE best shirts and layerings. . . but I've yet to own some pants/shorts.  It's only a mater of time.  Oh, and also not to mention that the times I have logged on and interact with everyone has all been a wonderful time in and away from work-- it keeps me closer to golf when I'm not playing.

I'm rambling on now. . .  Randy, thank you for the post.

Noel

•  

RANDY,MY FRIEND, YOU ARE TRULY THE BARD OF THE FJA'S.

YOU HAVE STATED WHAT MANY OF US HAVE TROUBLE PUTTING TOGETHER IN WORDS. THANK YOU.

I MIGHT JUST ADD ONE SMALL COMMENT AND IT HAS TO DO WITH GETTING OLDER AND BEING ABLE TO DISCUSS OPENLY TOPICS DEAR TO YOUR HEART, LIKE GOLF, WITH THOSE WITH SIMILAR LIKES.

NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE ARE WHAT THE WEATHER IS, YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND A CONVERSATION ON THE GREAT GAME.THANKS IS REALLY INSUFFICIENT TO DESCRIBE WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY TO OUR HOST, FOOTJOY, AND ALL OF OUR WONDERFUL FJAS.

•  

Randy, oh resident sage, you have done it again. Quite well stated. The FJA community is a collection of minds, with a common view of FJ as a quality company that provides us the opportunity to discuss and enjoy our common love of golf.

•  

Randy-Wan-Kenobi... the FJ force is strong with you.

You hit nail on head once again.  It's great to see the passion that comes through.  I think that all of the FJA's feel the same and echo your comments!

•  

Well said, Randy. The FJC is a community of people, with one thing in common, golf. From this our discussions expand to  everything. I know for myself, living in the northeast, there will no golf for awhile, yet I come here to hear that others are playing in warmer climates. It's nice to hear guys that have met here are hooking up and playing golf together. I think most of us have been wearing FJ before the community and that is what brought us together. At first, I thought I would only be here a short time. After getting into the conversations, I got hooked. Becoming a FJA was a side effect of the enjoyable time I have on the FJC. Thanks to FJ, for the FJC and their great products.

•  

Randy is the best at putting the essence of the FJ Community into words. Though I can't say that he and I had such thought-provoking discussions when playing together at Medinah (yes, it was the Fashionista pairing), we did come to be fast friends, and I'm glad to say I've been able to play golf with a couple of other FJAs again since then. The personal relationships that have been built through an online community continue to amaze me.

• 1062 points

As a fairly new member, I would expect the honor to just say "I'm and Ambassador" for FootJoy as payment enough.  Don;t want the discounts or a ton of swag.  I just want to promote a BRAND that truely is The Mark of a Player.  Thanks everyone.

•  

Teamtitleist1

As a fairly new member, I would expect the honor to just say "I'm and Ambassador" for FootJoy as payment enough.  Don;t want the discounts or a ton of swag.  I just want to promote a BRAND that truely is The Mark of a Player.  Thanks everyone.

I feel it is an honor. good post 

Thanks, Randy Tarheel 

• 370 points

I'm not new to the Footjoy brand, but am relatively new to the FJ Community. Trying to work my up to Ambassador. I use nothing but Titleist gear, Scotty Cameron Putter, Vokey Wedges, and own shoes, jackets, gloves, polos, slides, and even shoe trees from FJ. For me getting a bag tag is much about a freebee as it is to give me an opportunity to help brand FJ and show my fellow golfers that FJ is truly "The Mark of a Player". Look forward to seeing all of you on this site. Thanks

• 215 points

I've been a member of the Footjoy community and not even realized that I have been doing the work of an ambassador for years.  People at the course always ask why I wear Footjoy apparel and I usually go into what could be considered a sales presentation on styling, quality and fit.  When they see me wearing a new shirt or rain gear the question is always ask "Where did you get that."  After telling them it was made to my own exacting specifications, I tell them where I purchased the garment with the context that they will make you one too, it's Footjoy.

•  

Schultzy

I'm not new to the Footjoy brand, but am relatively new to the FJ Community. Trying to work my up to Ambassador. I use nothing but Titleist gear, Scotty Cameron Putter, Vokey Wedges, and own shoes, jackets, gloves, polos, slides, and even shoe trees from FJ. For me getting a bag tag is much about a freebee as it is to give me an opportunity to help brand FJ and show my fellow golfers that FJ is truly "The Mark of a Player". Look forward to seeing all of you on this site. Thanks

Welcome, you will find many kindred souls on this site !

•  

Flogger

I've been a member of the Footjoy community and not even realized that I have been doing the work of an ambassador for years.  People at the course always ask why I wear Footjoy apparel and I usually go into what could be considered a sales presentation on styling, quality and fit.  When they see me wearing a new shirt or rain gear the question is always ask "Where did you get that."  After telling them it was made to my own exacting specifications, I tell them where I purchased the garment with the context that they will make you one too, it's Footjoy.

Great to hear !!! Sounds like you really belong here. Welcome to the community Flogger :)