wedge idea

wedge idea

•  

I was watching a video on secretinthedirt.com with Lee Trevino talking about a wedge he had made with grooves that cut such that the grooves are square when you open the face. I'd love to see that produced.

•  

Fred, with all of the R&A rules in play, I would think its highly unlikely.  I think the new CC groves are here to stay.  Not sure if you have had the opportunity to try any of the new SM4 wedges, but they are fantastic.

•  

Fred it does sound like a neat idea for a lob wedge, think regular grooves are just fine.  Boston The CC rules don't really matter as I have retired from competition for some time now.  Speaking of that it is a shame the USGA makes rules based a couple thousand golfers that can play at that level and the heck with the rest of us.  Same with course design and length.  Golf is becoming too expensive for so many trying to copy CHAMPIONSHIP golf.

•  

Sorry, There is and needs to stay one set of rules for all golfers. It is how the game is played. If you think equipment is expensive now, just wait to see what it would cost with more than one set of rules.

There is nothing that says you MUST play the same length course as a Tour player, the USGA/PGA "Play it Forward" prigram is a perfect example. Most of the newer layouts have at least 4 and sometimes 6 sets of tees. You do not need to play all the way back to se the course for what the designer had in mind. If a Tour player drives the ball 310 and you drive it 230, the Tour player will play a Par 4 at 460 yards or so. You pick a set of tees that is closer to 380. You are now seeing the same course.

•  

To add to the conversation, last year I spend a day with Keegan Bradley and we were talking about his Cleveland wedges...he said he does not play with the grooves but he does replace his wedges to keep the grooves fresh every 60 days approx.  Especially before major championships etc.. I guess sponsorship's have their perks! LOL

• 609 points

[QUOTE=19hole]There is nothing that says you MUST play the same length course as a Tour player, the USGA/PGA "Play it Forward" prigram is a perfect example. Most of the newer layouts have at least 4 and sometimes 6 sets of tees.[/QUOTE]

And therein lies the rub.  While the bulk of golfers are unable to make use of the added course length now necessary to keep courses a legitimate test for a relative few golfers, those folks are the ones footing the bill for the increase in maintenance and upkeep associated with 6 tee boxes and an extra 800 yards.

I'll be the first to tell you I shouldn't be able to drive it 320 but I have and can.  I'm just a duffer.

•  

i don't get the need for different rules.  what other sport has that?  when i go play an adult league basketball game, i'm playing the same rules.  so why should golf be different?  golf has the handicaps and different tees to create the greatest equalizer in sports.  using a handicap and a different tee, i could have a legitimate shot a "beating" a top tour pro in a match.  i certainly couldn't say that i have a shot at beating lebron james in one on one, or usian bolt in a race.

•  

In addition to the rule changes, I found that the ball would get "chewed" up from my older Vokey wedges.  Sure I was able to spin the heck out of them, but the cost of replacing balls so often during the round was getting frustrating.  The new CC groves are certainly something you will need to adjust to, but in the long run, I am getting many rounds out of a ball opposed to 5 or 6 holes.  

The cost of the new wedges are certianly worth it in my opinion and as 19th hole mentions, you may enjoy the round a bit more if you play it forward.  Your preference, but best of luck either way.

•  

When it comes to CC vs non-CC grooves, Titleist has done a LOT of testing. I know that when I was doing some of it, my spin rates were not that much different out of the fairway and first cut of rough. It was only when the rough got longer than 1"-2" that the spin rate rapidly dropped off.

As has been said, the CC grooves are much better on the ball and I can't say I see a very big difference in playability between the CC and non-CC grooves.

Just hit more fairways and it really will not matter!

•  

Rick,

Is that last jab about fairways directed at me?  I have improved my % greatly.

TT

•  

Tim, don't take it personally, although I do enjoy your banter with the others, so keep it up.

•  

Actually most sports have different rules for pros than amateurs. Basketball for example has different 3 point lines, shot clocks, and other rules. Football has tons of differences. Golf although only a highly competitive level is one of the few which come to mind which does not

•  

Tim, it was a general comment but it has obviously struck a nerve with you! You keep telling me that you are hitting more fairways, but I will need to see it to believe it!

•  

I think Rick has nailed this one

•  

LET'S SEE,,,FROM 1% TO 2% IS A 100% IMPROVEMENT,,,,,,,IS THAT RIGHT???

LOVE YA' TIM.