Orange Whip vs. Speed Whoosh Swing Trainer

Orange Whip vs. Speed Whoosh Swing Trainer

•  

Three Orange Whips.

Good one Tim! Great movie.

•  

one of the all time greatest movies Tim.  possibly one of the best ending scenes.

•  

Nice work Mr. Holley. I'm looking forward to St. Patrick's Day. As for the weighted clubs vs. tempo trainers, the "Sports Science" article is interesting reading. It seems to confirm working on speed, not power, may produce better results. Hank Haney has said, "golfers tend to swing too hard, not too fast", so anything you can do to create more speed in the downswing should be your goal. Julius Boros, in his book, "Swing Easy, Hit Hard", makes several great points. He felt the takeaway was accomplished with a shoulder rotation so that everything else moved smoothly and slowly while the downswing was initiated by the lower body. "I never feel that I am in danger of being too fast on my backswing simply because my shoulders won't start too fast. As my hands reach the hitting zone, I can increase their speed to anything I choose within my capabilities." Given that, the tempo trainers like the Whipmaster and such, seem to be the way to go.

• 5177 points

fredcloss
    Nice work Mr. Holley. I'm looking forward to St. Patrick's Day. As for the weighted clubs vs. tempo trainers, the "Sports Science" article is interesting reading. It seems to confirm working on speed, not power, may produce better results. Hank Haney has said, "golfers tend to swing too hard, not too fast", so anything you can do to create more speed in the downswing should be your goal. Julius Boros, in his book, "Swing Easy, Hit Hard", makes several great points. He felt the takeaway was accomplished with a shoulder rotation so that everything else moved smoothly and slowly while the downswing was initiated by the lower body. "I never feel that I am in danger of being too fast on my backswing simply because my shoulders won't start too fast. As my hands reach the hitting zone, I can increase their speed to anything I choose within my capabilities." Given that, the tempo trainers like the Whipmaster and such, seem to be the way to go.

I agree with fredcloss - not only Mr. Boros, but notable champion Billy Casper also was a devotee of a swing based on rythmical timing and tempo. Not too many would quibble with his ball striking prowess. And one of tjhe longest hitters in history, Mikle Austin, advocated and taught a swing utilizing two pivot points - a backswing pivot and a downswing pivot that positioned the golfer to"throw" the club at the ball with, in his case, incredible clubhead speed. Austin hit 300+yard drives in his 70s! Check out the interpretation of the Austin swing taught ny DJ Watts at www.djwattsgolf.com or look at his swing on You Tube. Very efficient, kineistetically correct swing - very powerful, body friendly and efficient!