Temperature affects golf balls

Temperature affects golf balls

•  

Titleist does not publish any of this type od ball performance data to the public. I have done a lot of testing over the last 20 years for them as did get to see quite a bit of it during testing.

•  

I would think that the modern balls have closed the weather gap by a little bit.  I never really do see alot of difference in distance, but I rarely play below around 50 deg either.

TT

•  

That's why I just swing a wee bit harder, gotta punish that little white ball?

•  

OUTIGER
    I would think that the modern balls have closed the weather gap by a little bit.  I never really do see alot of difference in distance, but I rarely play below around 50 deg either.

TT

i would agree with that.  i've never seen any numbers, but being in the northeast, i play when it's in the 30s and when it's over 100.  and i haven't noticed as big of a change in distance as i did when i was a kid.

•  

I tend to take note when the hard buzzing makes its way up the shaft into my hands on the low iron mis-hits that's for sure.  Not much of worse feeling during the winter.

•  

I will say that I find about a 1 to 1 1/2 club difference in distance from +70° to 40°-45°.

•  

There is nothing you can do about cold air being heavier and thus the ball does not travel as far. The same goes for extremely soft fairways

•  

19hole
    I will say that I find about a 1 to 1 1/2 club difference in distance from +70° to 40°-45°.

i guess if i'm honest with myself, with the amount of golf i've been playing lately, i probably wouldn't notice a 1 club difference.  i would probably chalk it up to a better or worse swing.  but that's all going to change next year!

•  

bholley
    There is nothing you can do about cold air being heavier and thus the ball does not travel as far. The same goes for extremely soft fairways

or frozen fairways.  you get a good roll when the ground is frozen.  just don't try to take a divot.