Grip It & Sip It

Grip It & Sip It

•  

Well, our buddy John Daly is up to some shenanigans. Again. Even though he's been sober for four years, he's now in the alcohol business with the introduction of The Original John Daly Cocktail in three flavors. He's apparently "fighting back" because his name is on restaurant and bar menus across the country with his namesake drink, a combination of sweet tea, vodka and lemonade -- similar to an Arnold Palmer, but with alcohol.

If only he'd handled having a drink named after him with the same class Arnold has.

Here's a link the the Golf Digest story about John Daly Cocktails: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/newstuff/2012/12/the-john-daily-cocktail-grip-i.html

And a link to a short video of Arnold explaining how the "Arnold Palmer" came to be: http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=the-arnold-palmer

•  

I think he is a sad case of wasted talent.  Let him fade away.

•  

I dare say John Daly is the golf equivalent of the Khardashians....

•  

Bahahahaha

• 323 points

This is way too true. He worsens the tour's image.

• 2801 points

What a waste of talent. He never would have been one of the elite super stars but he would have been  a solid competitor.

•  

If they are going to use his name he may as well get paid for it! To think of what could have been for Big John if he could have handled those demons.

•  

John Daly is truly a sad story. I wonder if ESPN is going to make a 30 for 30 documentary on his life? You could call it: John Daly: throwing it all away....again.

•  

this is another example of success before someone could handle it.  couple that with some severe mental issues, and was a train wreck.  i like john and think he's a good person (heck, he bought a golf course and lets juniors play for free!), but he has some serious demons he needs to keep under control.  i'm still hopeful that he can at least get things together enough to live a happy life.

•  

Soonerball
    This is way too true. He worsens the tour's image.

not nearly as bad for the tour's image as Tiger kicking a club and swearing on national TV.

•  

shaun13
    If they are going to use his name he may as well get paid for it! To think of what could have been for Big John if he could have handled those demons.

i agree, if someone was selling something with my name on it, i would try to figure out how to get paid!

•  

Very well put Tar Heel...

•  

FOR IT TRULY TO BE A "JOHN DALY" IT HAS TO AUTOMATICALLY SPILL ITSELF DOWN THE FRONT OF THE DRINKER.

SORRY JOHN,,,I GIVE UP.

•  

John Daly has not one, but two majors. I know alot of players that would like to have one of those.

• 5378 points

Truly talented, truly troubled. Daly's golf swing is a thing of beauty with little to no back destroying contortions. His emotional difficulties are as mighty as his golf swing and alas, he really never has found centered happiness in his life. When you look at the enduringly great golfers on the last couple of generations, they have in common - family as the true source of their happiness and mental health. And without mental health, as Mr. Daly and Mr. Woods have demonstrated, it is a tough game to play well...

Glad that Daly is sober  - it is a courageous and essential first step to happiness for the rest of his life.