Sunglasses--Love 'em or hate 'em?

Sunglasses--Love 'em or hate 'em?

• 1033 points

I have a pair of Bolle sunglasses with the Eaglevision lenses which I just don't play golf without wearing.  I love them--they help keep me from squinting and they help me in reading the greens.  However, I know several players who hate sunglasses and curse them.  Even among the pros, there are some who you never see without a pair of sunglasses, and there are others who you never see with them.  Even among the ones who wear sunglasses, some take them off while putting while others wear them constantly.

What is your preference and why?

•  

I have a pair of Maui Jim's that i love to play in, but only if i am not wearing a hat. They really make everything very clear and help with reading the greens, just are not comfortable with a hat on for some reason.

•  

I love sunglasses but can not wear them while on the course.  Just dont feel comfortable with them on, always worried they will slip off during my swing

•  

I wear my Oakley sunglasses with golf specific lenses a lot. It helps keep the pollen out of my eyes. However i sometimes take them off when I start to play bad. Lately I have had them more off than on, LOL

•  

On bright sunny days I wear sunglasses 90% of my round. I see the ball better. I even wear them when I am putting.

•  

nickpoz

I love sunglasses but can not wear them while on the course.  Just dont feel comfortable with them on, always worried they will slip off during my swing

+1 nick.  I have the same feelings about sunglasses.  I wear them driving or when I am out on the lake and such but when it comes to golf, I have never worn glasses.  You see Zach Johnson with glasses all the time and you never see Tiger with them.  Clearly it is a thing of presonal preference but I cannot golf with them on.  I think they mess with my perception and just make me "feel" like I will play poorly because of it.  No idea why, but sunglasses while playing is not for me.

•  

I want to try playing in them.  My friend said his eye doctor said the sun is ruinning his eyes because he is outside playing golf all the time so now he wears sunglasses.  I want to try playing in a pair but im not sure if I will be able to get use too it.

•  

I have a few pair of Oakleys that I were. I find that my eyes feel better if I wear them, but just have to take them off to hit the ball. I seem to lose the ball in the frames at address.

I am mixed on putting, sometimes I wear them sometimes I take them off.

•  

absolutely have to have them with me, glaucoma in one eye.  without them i find that i get to experiance alot of pain behind my eye.  so, for me they are an absolute must.

•  

19hole

I have a few pair of Oakleys that I were. I find that my eyes feel better if I wear them, but just have to take them off to hit the ball. I seem to lose the ball in the frames at address.

I am mixed on putting, sometimes I wear them sometimes I take them off.

I  agree 100% with this statement.  I love my Oakley Half Jackets and Flak Jackets, but I've never felt comfortable hitting a ball with the glasses on.  I should probably go to the range and get used to the feeling of wearing glasses while striking balls.

•  

I have light colored eyes and am a real squinter in the bright sunlight (even with a hat on).  I have a super lightweight hinge-free pair of Maui Jim sunglasses that I wear the majority of my rounds.  

•  

caddy13

I want to try playing in them.  My friend said his eye doctor said the sun is ruinning his eyes because he is outside playing golf all the time so now he wears sunglasses.  I want to try playing in a pair but im not sure if I will be able to get use too it.

I suppose you could always take them off for the 5 seconds it takes you to swing and then toss them back on.  I may have to attempt that, don't need any eye problems this early.

• 1033 points

For those of you who are on the fence - who are thinking of trying sunglasses but are not sure - I wear Bolle Vigilantes with the Eaglevision lenses that are specifically designed for golfing.  Bolle makes a dark  (for brighter days) and a light  (for low-light) version of the lens.  Up until 4 years ago, I never wore sunglasses when I played, because I, too, thought it would hamper my game.  I bought these Bolles just to see how they would work.  I absolutely love them.  They have large wrap-around frames, and because the lenses are interchangeable, there are no frames at the bottom to mess with your sight - the lenses basically blend into your cheek.  If you are thinking of trying some sunglasses, I would highly recommend these.  I bought my first pair at  Academy, so I know they have them available to try on, but I have bought other pairs on-line from Optics Planet.  I have many different sets of lenses for mine, some for golf and others just for every day use.  The only thing I don't like about them is that the nose piece is not replaceable.  For this reason, I rate these as a 9, but if the nose piece was replaceable, I would certainly give these a 10.

•  

I have Oakleys with 3 types of lenses that I change out depending on whether it's sunny or overcast.  I will wear them between shots and when putting, just can't get used to them when hitting shots and won't wear them.  I think they are important to protect your eyes for as much time as we spend on a golf course.

•  

I guess for me it just depends, somedays I wear them some I don't, no real rhyme or reason to it, don't think it really affects my game one way or the other