Anchoring Opinions

Anchoring Opinions

• 2397 points

The USGA and R & A have proposed the rule regarding the long/belly putter and anchoring the stroke -- what do people think?

• 2947 points

Well, you can still use your long putter, just can't anchor it (or any club for that matter: but it would be kinda funny to see someone try to hit a driver while it was anchored). I've never tried one, so I am certainly not qualified to say if it is an advantage. I know a guy who tried it and gave up because he thought it was too hard; I know his stroke and am sure it was because he was moving his body. I guess it's a preference/physical ability thing. I personally don't care if someone uses one. I always root for everyone I play with to shoot the lowest score ever (I just want mine to be lower on it's own merit).

•  

If anyone can prove that it helps in any way more than a "traditional" stroke, then be my guest to explain.  I do not personally use an anchoring putter, and see no advantage to anyone that does.  I think this ruling is absurd.  

TT

•  

Level playing surface now! I support it!

•  

This rule is a joke.  Belly or anchored putters have never been a reason for golf courses having to increase their yardages or do redesigns (like St. Andrews).  That is down to the clubs and balls.  If the USGA wants to make a rule with impact, then change the standards for equipment.   It seems like this is a witch hunt for guys like Webb Simpson, Keegan Bradley, and Ernie Els - who have won majors recently.  

Also, I don't know anyone that uses a belly putter.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one in use at any of the courses that I play.  Again, this will impact a few guys on TOUR and guys on the Champions Tour.    

•  

I think everyone has to keep in mind that for us everyday, non-tournament golfers, nothing will really change.  Guys who want to putt with the long stick or the belly putter will continue to do so with impunity.  It really only affects those who play in sanctioned events, or events that adhere to USGA/R&A rules.  In my club, for example, I do not foresee any change to play on a daily basis or at the bi-weekly seniors events.  I do think the league I play in may force people to change, because the league adheres to USGA rules during play (except for the one ball rule).  I don't like them; am perfectly happy with my Bullseye; could care less if someone else uses one.

•  

I must disagree, if you have the yip or are jittery, a belly or anchored putter can help diminish the shakes! Can I adjust my driver in the round to cut a dogleg!

•  

This is silly - long putters, short putters - it does not make a difference.  The golfer still has to make the stroke and get the ball in the hole.  

•  

BEING ONE WHO USES THE LONG PUTTER MOST OF THE TIME, I DON'T LIKE THE RULE.  IF THE USGA AND THE R&A DIDN'T LIKE THEM, THEY SHOULD NEVER BEEN ALLOWED IN THE FIRST PLACE.  T.HEY HAD AMPLE TIME TO EVALUATE THEM WHEN THEY FIRST APPEARED BUT DID NOTHING.  I AGREE THAT THEY ARE TARGETING CERTAIN PLAYERS AND PROBABLY BECAUSE OF TRADITIONALIST PLAYERS COMPLAINING.

THE OTHER REASON I DON'T WANT TO SEE THEM OUTLAWED IS BECAUSE I DEPEND ON MINE TO HOLD ME UP TOWARD THE END OF A ROUND.  THEY MAKE GREAT CRUTCHES AND MY 48" PUTTER IS JUST THE RIGHT HEIGHT TO REST MY HEAD ON WHEN I NEED A NAP DURING A ROUND.

•  

TNT009
    I must disagree, if you have the yip or are jittery, a belly or anchored putter can help diminish the shakes! Can I adjust my driver in the round to cut a dogleg!

I've seen your swing Todd, you can't cut doglegs.  hahaha j/k

Just my opinion, but to me it's all in the head with the yips.

TT

•  

OUTIGER
    If anyone can prove that it helps in any way more than a "traditional" stroke, then be my guest to explain.  I do not personally use an anchoring putter, and see no advantage to anyone that does.  I think this ruling is absurd.  

TT

+1

• 3539 points

I personally don't have a problem with long putters, I'm a mediocre putter at best and I've tried them but, I was a mediocre putter with them as well. It didn't make an impact for me so, I stuck with a standard length putter. I'm sure it helps some players but, I honestly believe that it doesn't make a huge impact on the game. The long putter was pantented in 1965 and in my opinion it's just now becoming an issue because Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, and  Ernie Els have won majors using them.

•  

Dave Pelz did an extensive analysis of the 2 putting strokes with long and short putters this year. His findings were that there was no scientific evidence that the "anchor" proved any more (or less) effective in getting the ball in the hole.

Personally, I've tried the long putter and find it way too cumbersome. Never like it.

•  

Personally, I like the ban on anchoring. I almost never see anyone using a belly putter or a long putter when I am playing. Whether it helps or not, it's not in the spirit of the game. They should have done this long ago, but better late than never. Change is good up to a point, but you have to be very careful. It very easy to go too far and change things for the worst, permanently. Slots in clubs is in the same vein, shouldn't happen. Drivers should have been capped at about 360cc, that was big enough. But that's another story.

I say this with knowledge learned from my years of bowling. When I bowled in the 70's and 80's it took skill to be a high lever player that could hook the ball and score well. Then with changes to lane conditions and the introduction of reactive resin bowling balls, you could buy a hook and couldn't miss the pocket. Scores skyrocketed and took the challenge out of the game. 300 games and ridiculously high scores were the norm, completely ruining the history and legend of the game. Participation has plummeted at the high level of the sport along with casual play as well. This could easily happen to the game of golf as well, I am happy that the USGA and the R&A are at least trying. If you keep making the game too easy, no one is going to care anymore. And that is trouble!

Don

•  

I am in agreement, although it does not apply to my game.  I think the whole nature of anchoring a club is not the intent of the swing, especially if it can provide some type of an advantage.  I am not really bothered either way and glad to see they did not make a proposed ruling on the length, just the anchoring.