Anchoring Ban

Anchoring Ban

•  

Looks like the USGA and R&A have answered everyone's questions by coming out with a proposed change to the rule on what constitutes a swing, banning anchoring.  Thisnshouldnbring some interesting debate in the next few days, weeks.

•  

i like that rule putt normal

•  

Looks like the ban will be on anchoring but not long putters which will make it interesting. What happens if a "belly putter" is touching the shirt but not anchored? Alot of questions need to be answered. From what I have read there will be a 90 day "grace" period where they will listen to the pros and their opinions. This is a big deal; opens the door for other changes if the USGA and R&A deem worthy, such as balls and other club changes.

•  

This was expected as the conversation had prolonged the inevitable. Now the question is how will it affect the amatuer player and game growth.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Glad to see a decision has been rendered. The discussion has languished on far too long and so dealing with the rest of the "grace period" needs to be swift and concise.

Next up... the golf ball. Let' see if this newly found decision making prowess at the R&A and USGA leads to discussions on the ball.

•  

Tar Heel
    Glad to see a decision has been rendered. The discussion has languished on far too long and so dealing with the rest of the "grace period" needs to be swift and concise.

Next up... the golf ball. Let' see if this newly found decision making prowess at the R&A and USGA leads to discussions on the ball.

WELL SAID RANDY,,,,,,,,,,,,,I AGREE WITH THE CHANGE AND ALSO YOUR COMMENT ON THE BALL ISSUE.

NOW IS THE TIME.

•  

So this it what is Ok and now not Ok . Webb is switching, Bradley is upset and wants to argue it. should be interesting how it turns out. 

•  

i'm glad they made the decision.  i didn't agree with anchoring, so in that sense i'm happy.  but i'm more happy they made a decision one way or the other.  players will adjust and the game will be fine.

•  

A good ruling overall.   I agree, the ball  definately should be next.  Distance should be seriously addressed. I'm also not in favor of the ink line drawn on a ball.   These Tour guys spend far too much time lining up their ink line and re-marking the ball on two footers.  They are far too anal.  

•  

Deno
    A good ruling overall.   I agree, the ball  definately should be next.  Distance should be seriously addressed. I'm also not in favor of the ink line drawn on a ball.   These Tour guys spend far too much time lining up their ink line and re-marking the ball on two footers.  They are far too anal.

The players are fighting back on the ruling of the putter, think will how manufacturers will respond to a ball change, it would not be pretty!  

•  

I will be very interested to see how this plays out.  I wonder how big of a "fight" Keegan Bradley is going to put up, but even if he fights it I don't think it's likely that he will win.  I don't like putting with long or belly-putters personally...they just don't work for me. That being said, I'm glad we at least have a ruling on this now.

•  

When it comes to equipment, the rulings have to be much more performance based on actual due process/testing. This leads to an unbiased approach to meet the economic effect cascading from every aspect of the process from manufacturing, course operations, etc. As with any equipment change, there will be consternation and refutement until adaption.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I just don't see the "advantage" that anchoring gives.  If it was such a major thing then all of the players would be using it.

And my thought on the length of the pros is conditioning and fitness.  They will still be the best in the world with a lesser ball, and it only would hurt the players that do not hit the "long" ball.

TT

•  

i don't see how anchoring helps either.  I don't care because I putt traditionally but I wouldn't be upset if the rest of my group was belly putting.  Whatever works for them.  I carry 3 wedges and maybe they'll carry 2 or 1.  Still got to get the ball in the hole.

• 2650 points

DOGLOSKI
    Tar HeelGlad to see a decision has been rendered. The discussion has languished on far too long and so dealing with the rest of the "grace period" needs to be swift and concise.

WELL SAID RANDY,,,,,,,,,,,,,I AGREE WITH THE CHANGE AND ALSO YOUR COMMENT ON THE BALL ISSUE.

NOW IS THE TIME.