Forums

Do you use a range finder ? What brand ?

•  

I was watching a Bushnell ad on the Golf Channel this morning and started to ask which brand FJC used and say this thread.  The newer models they are coming out with are awesome and are able to take out the background and zero in on the target (flag).  They add the slope in now but these are not legal to use in USGA tournaments.  I love my Bushnell and use it a lot and it really makes a difference.   My bud has one with the "vibrator" as we call it....what a hoot......

• 4131 points

I like the Leupold units best.

like the combo units. I still think a GPS gives me more information on the shot than a range finder. I think everyone should have GPS or range finder. I think they take strokes and time off your round.

•  

I used a Bushnell Tour V2 all season and I was very happy.  I opted to not get the one with the slope.  Didn't think I needed that feature and I didn't want something I couldn't use in a tournament.

• 5277 points

After quire a few years in the bag, my Bushnell V2 is finally starting to give out on me and it seems harder to pick the flag out from the background and get a good "hit".  I have to shoot something around the green to get a good depth to make sure I am actually shooting the flag.  That being said, it has been faithful for years and I plan to stay with the brand and replace him with one of his newer siblings.  Maybe even the "vibrator" as chuck's group refers to it!

•  

Bushnell now has a GPS combination unit.......Leupold is a great unit as well......if you are going to own one, these are by far the two best on the market and most accurate......I found their ad this morning to be very informing......mine is an older Pinseeker model and still performing well......just replace the battery once a year......maybe my group needs to be careful how we label things.....just a bunch of retirees having fun......I too stay away from rangefinders I cannot use in tournaments.......have seen guys DQd......

• 1123 points

I use the Bushnell Hybrid and it is awesome on every level.  Best of both worlds with laser and GPS built right in.  And the price was pretty good as well, since I got a nice discount from working at a golf course.

• 3 points

Curious to know the average handicap of those that NEED a range finder. I play in two leagues and believe use of these gadgets are more time consuming for the majority of the users, unless one can routinely be within 5-10 yards of their target LANDING spot, never mind where the ball comes to rest!!

• 708 points

I've got my eye on the Bushnell V3 Slope edition Patriot Pack.  I will donate a portion of the purchase to Folds of Honor foundation and I don't use it for tournaments.  I like to play new courses and if I hate looking for sprinkler heads all the time.  

• 1146 points

I love my Bushnell V2. Great value for the price. It's a perfect size, easy to handle, easy to use, and very accurate. I've thought about the trying the Garmin watch but I don't like to wear a watch when I play so I've pretty much ruled that out. I do use GolfLogix and Skydroid on my smartphone in conjunction with my rangefinder.  I've found that my rangefinder is also handy on the driving range.  You'd be surprised just how off driving range yardages actually are.  There are some really good resources on the web.  Here's one: www.golfrangefindershop.com/.../best-golf-rangefinder-2013

•  

I don't use a range finder but I do use a SkyCaddie ....

I suppose it's kinda like a range finder :-)

•  

PatMacjr
    Curious to know the average handicap of those that NEED a range finder. I play in two leagues and believe use of these gadgets are more time consuming for the majority of the users, unless one can routinely be within 5-10 yards of their target LANDING spot, never mind where the ball comes to rest!!

The majority of the guys that I play with use range finders.  Our handicaps range from about 2-10 and most of us play tournament golf and we too play in leagues.  It actually speeds golf up.  We pull out the range finder, shoot it, take a practice swing and hit the ball to our intended target.  It avoids walking around looking for markers on the course and then walking off the yardage.  Our groups play normally under four hours and we mostly play in fivesomes and it is a mixture of walkers and riders.   A good range finder can speed up play.  

•  

Over a year later, still a GPS guy...hands aren't any steadier this year than they were last year

• 404 points

I traded in my older model Bushnell earlier this year for the new Bushnell Tour V3 with "Jolt" technology.  Great technology.  Never have to worry about correctly hitting the target (flag stick).  I bought the Patriot Pack, with a portion of the sale price going to the Folds of Honor.  Got a sweet Fold of Honor bag tag included with the purchase.

• 2377 points

I use a Skycaddie SG5 and it works well for me.  My model only holds 20 douses at a time which is not a problem as i don't play more than that when at home.  For trips I reload with courses we plan on playing in an area.  New models I believe hold 50 which should be more than adequate.  I like the features regarding yardages to hazards,carry over same, end of fairways etc. especially when playing courses other than my home course.  It has surprised others when I tell them that bunker so many yards away or to carry it. If you want a range finder people I know play with the new switch laser link or a bushnell both seem more than satisfactory.  They give a more specific distance to the pin but for a 15 hdcp front back or middle work.  

• 704 points

Have not got one yet but I am in the market for you