Forums

Do you use a range finder ? What brand ?

• 391 points

I had a Busnell 1400 but upgraded to the Bushnell Pro 1 M. The new digital red screen makes it a lot easier to read and it gives a faster feed back. I'm really ruff on my range finder and it has never skipped a beat. My Dad still uses the one I bought for him in 97. It is still accurate +- 2 yards. How's that for durability.

•  

i'm looking at a Bushnell Tour V2.  there is a $50 rebate with it until the end of the year that has me tempted.  not sure if i want a range finder or a GPS though.  there are pluses and minuses with both so i'm not sure which i would rather go with.

• 1613 points

I use Bushnell (hybrid). I am giving serious thought  to using the wrist type, and keep up with pin placement rather than laser to the flag. Stopping to measure each shot can take more time than needed.. but looking down at the wrist and seeing 212 to the middle is good enough for my game.. rather than using my laser that shows 215. I have seen some on sale, Golfsmith,  (Bushnell wrist) for around $180, not a bad investment, and I still have my laser on the bag if I want to dial in a short shot less than 100..

•  

FOLKS I REALLY DO NOT HAVE A USE FOR ONE.

OUR COURSES ARE ALL MARKED AT 50 YARD INTERVALS AND I HIT MY CLUBS AT 10 YD DIFFERENCES (SOMETIMES THEY ALL GO ABOUT THE SAME) SO,,,,,,,IF IT'S 130-140 THAT'S CLOSER THAN I CAN HIT MY 150 CLUB.

NO NEED TO KNOW IT'S 133.5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,LOL.

•  

you guys are right.....with my game, i really don't need to know exact distances.  but then again some of the courses (and places on the course i end up) aren't always marked very well.  and a range finder would be nice on the range.  you know those signs are never exact.  i don't know what i want to do....

•  

Like many of the folks here, I use a Bushnell - laser rangefinders are hard to beat. I also have (but Pinkie uses) a GolfBuddy World Platinum GPS unit. It's handy on strange courses or when you can't see the green/hazards out there. It has no annual subscription.

•  

We all just wish we could hit it as solid as you Doug.

•  

I have a Bushnell Pro like others...its perfect for my game.  I also have a Sky Caddie...the best reason for one of those is hidden pins (no line of sight).  

• 1613 points

I mentioned my Bushnell Hybrid.. Today I picked up a Garmin Approach S1.. they were on sale at Golfsmith for $170. I like the idea of wearing it on my wrist, and not having to measure, or hold a device. Glance down and see the distance.. I see it as a time saver helping the pace of play. I am going to try it tomorrow.

•  

I have a Golf Buddy Platinum. Love the fact that there is no subscription. I only use it on new and unfamiliar courses that don't have GPS on the carts though. I find that too much information (GPS on the cart and GPS from the handheld) at one time will play tricks on you....

•  

well i picked up the bushnell tour v2.  i couldn't resist at the price.  with cyber monday coupons and a mail-in rebate, it ended up being about 160 or 170.  i play enough courses with markers that are "suspect" i thought it might be useful.  and for that price, if i don't want it, i can unload it on ebay.

•  

Never used or will ever use a rangefinder.   Keep 'em for military artillery gunners for goodness sakes.   Golf is about  learning how to judge distance and adjust your swing accordingly.  I'd rather pace off the distance from the established yardage markers.  Just my opinion.

•  

Never used or will ever use a rangefinder.   Keep 'em for military artillery gunners for goodness sakes.   Golf is about  learning how to judge distance and adjust your swing accordingly.  I'd rather pace off the distance from the established yardage markers.  Just my opinion.

•  

Deno

i agree with you, but i was finding a lot of courses with inconsistent markings.  and then you have to wonder if you hit it wrong or if the distance markers are wrong, or both.

• 2801 points

I have a SkyCaddie and find it very useful especially on courses I visit when it comes to hazards doglegs etc.  It only shows front middle and back for greens but for me that is accurate enough.  I find that for shots less than 100 yards knowing the approx distance helps my feel.