Forums

I golfed in these conditions and temps.

• 2840 points

We woke up one November morning in Scotland at The Turnberry Hotel and saw several inches or snow on the ground. Most of us went back to bed on the assumption that it would not be a golf morning but fortuneatly one of the guys went down for a cup of coffee. The concierge told him to get everyone ready for the 10:00 tee time because the way the wind was blowing of the water the light dry snow would be blown away  by 10:00. We ended up playing on time in sunny and "brisk" weather. No way were we going to miss a round in Scotland because of a little cold weather.

• 1495 points

Last home meet of my college career was probably the worst round of golf I've ever been a part of. Tee off was at 8:00 am, temperature was 38 degrees (superintendent wont let play happen unless its 40)...we waited about an hour. Played the first hole in 30 mph winds. Tee'd off on the 2nd hole only to be pelted with snow and hail...prob marble size. I had to ride on the back of the cart on the way into the club where the speed of the hail accelerated because the speed of the cart. Not a fun day

• 1495 points

clearly no one played in these conditions but just thought that I would post some pictures of a storm that ravished our golf course last june (2011). It completely destroyed every tree, green, fairway and anything else in its way. hail the size of baseballs left craters in the greens you could rest a pop can in. Some of the trees couldnt recover from this storm and thus had to be cut down. Management at the course decided this would be the perfect time to renovate the golf course to make it more challenging.

•  

Ouch! Those are some impressive pictures Miguel. Did you take all of those?

• 5657 points

Wow! Where is your club/course Miguel? Looks like a river changed course and decided to run down a fairway!

• 1495 points

Our course is in southwest nebraska ( McCook, Heritage Hills) yeah its crazy but thats just the rain and hail in the river. No golferdrmjr can't say that I did...wish i talented enough to take those.

•  

Miguel!  man, that is not a good sight.  Hope your course recovered.

I will save my little rain story we played in when our clubs starts to slip off our hands flying and we decided to go in and started to drink when lighter weather postings begin again.

•  

Today I got a late start at 11:00. We have had some small storms going through the area for a change.  It was 60 degrees when I started to play and it never got warmer. What was fun though, was the wind. It was blowing 13 to 14 mph with gusts to 18 mph. We don't get that here very often so it's a good challenge. Just a polo, wool sweater vest, and a wind shirt, sometimes still too warm.  I know you guys and gals up north think this is nothing, but it's all we got here in San Diego. No snow in bunkers here like Josh had to deal with.

What's YOUR story. Let's hear it here.

Don

•  

golferdrmjr
    tdogg21i've played in some nasty weather (FJA at RICC anyone??) and so cold i actually shattered the golf ball when it froze.  i'm playing saturday morning.  highs are to get into the mid-50s, but that will be late in the day.  i'm expecting temps at tee-time to be around 40 or below.When you get a chance after your round on Saturday, tee up the story of your weather conditions and anything else exciting here to share with the FJ Community.

Don

well the round started cold.  and got colder on the front nine.  at one point i was wearing a FJ sweater and my FJ rain jacket.  and i was contemplating getting my winter hat out.  but the sun came out and it warmed up to the point where i finished in short sleeves.  typical fall day in the northeast!  the views were absolutely stunning.  i love fall golf in this part of the country.

•  

It was a beautiful day of golf at Salt Creek in the southeast part of San Diego today. 11:24 tee time with the temp. about 74 degrees getting to 82 degrees with light breezes. Never felt hot, just right. You could see all the way out to the islands from the 14th green. Man it was nice!

•  

It's seldom that I do an away round.  But last Sunday, we had a chance to play in the vicinity of Las Vegas.  It's the town, southeast of it, called Henderson.  The Revere.  It sits up even higher on top of the high desert.  It started out at 48ish and climbed up to 56 with some breeze, 10 mph, not bad.  Bright clear day.  We could see some great views of the Las Vegas strip.  Pretty nice.  Gorgeous day!

•  

I've played here in Michigan in temps as low as upper 20's but was properly prepared by layering my FJ apparel along with having a cart cover and the propane heater...when you only have to be outside for a few moments to hit your shot it really doesn't seem that cold...

•  

Todd (TNT) and I just played a round at Coronado G.C. Not a normal day there, cloudy and overcast. About 58 degrees at 6:30 when we started and 65 degrees with light winds when we finished at 10:00. A great place to play. Golf Digest listed Coronado in it's top 50 FUN courses to play in the Sept. issue. Todd was looking sharp in FootJoy, head to toe. He had his Gray and Charcoal Lizard Asymmetrical Icons, black shorts, gray long-sleeve polo from the FootJoy employee store, black sweater vest, and Titleist hat. I wore my Brown and Brown Croc Saddle Icons, tan plaid pants, yellow FJ Lisle polo, yellow cashmere sweater, and coco brown Titleist hat. I'm looking forward to next week at Torrey Pines.

Don

•  

Aw, guys.  Had another cold start to the day here today, teeing off at about 7:15, about 40 degrees.  Everyone was bundled up a bit, with a couple of the guys wearing two gloves to keep the hands warm (remember, this is southeastern Texas we're talking about).  I was wearing slacks, ProDry crew socks, FJ polo, sweater vest, merino wool sweater, sweatshirt, and my DryJoys Performance light rain jacket to start.  Jacket came off after a couple of holes, sweatshirt off by the 8th hole.  Temperatures got into the high 50's by the time we finished, warm enough for just the shirt and sweater vest.  It was brilliantly bright, with a blue sky and no real wind--a terrific change from the 15-25 mph winds on Monday and Tuesday, with similar temperatures.  Ended up shooting 74, going into the last hole two under on the back and blowing it with a double on 18.  Had five birdies, missed two other easy birdie putts and had three 3-putts.  Wish that had been the way I played yesterday, in one of my associations' championship.

•  

Guys and Gals:  Hope everyone had some good golfing weather as good as we had it!

It was in the high 40s around 7:00am but it quickly worked its way up to high 60s by noon.  Anyway, just like many of you, I had the chance to wear some FootJoy gears-- Vest & mock shirt was a popular choice.

I had a couple of nice days walking, it was too nice not to walk.