Forums

some help and "help" on the rules of Golf

•  

I came across these today and thought they were a good read.  the first explains some commonly misunderstood rules and the second is some good tips for the casual round.

www.golfdigest.com/.../photos-misunderstood-rules

www.golfdigest.com/.../photos-reasonable-rules

•  

I was unaware of that first rule. I always thought that if you were off the green you had to go first. Thank you for the post.

•  

It's always good to bring up rules and etiquette on the board as it is always good to review what amazes another golfer.

But yes, most definitely, the farthest away always will  have honors, although he/she may allow the ball off the green to come up.

However, the "OB" ball, for us, or me, whenever in doubt, we instantly play a provisional ball and take that time to play it.  Dropping a ball from its estimated point of entry is not and never what we would do at all.  There is a reason why the penalty is severe-- The ball went Out of Bound and NOT in play anymore.

OK, If anyone is worried about playing time spent, the provisional ball is not where we need to skipp and fast forward, and certainly dropping from an OB line is a wow. . . well, are we still playing a "game" of golf?  It would be more likely to be better off to play ready golf as a better option to play faster or within lesser time, if that is the goal to be met, however.

• 3542 points

Interesting...I knew most of those but, I've never heard the 3rd one (putting line in a team event). I been in violation of that one in probably every scamble I've ever played.

•  

here is another one.  If you are off the green and the is a ball mark in front of your ball or sand for that matter, you can NOT fix the mark or move the sand without incurring a penalty shot.

Thanks for the link, fun reading..

•  

Thanks for the links, Tim.  Basic rules that we should all know and follow most of the time when we play.  The "Reasonable Rules," likewise, are good to follow in a casual, friendly among good buddies with nothing on the line other than, possibly, an adult beverage after the round, especially on a crowded day at the course when 5+ hour rounds loom.  One group I play in follows similar rules when they play primarily because most of the guys are 18+handicappers.  Without rules such as these, those rounds would approach 6 hours easily.

•  

shawks11
    Interesting...I knew most of those but, I've never heard the 3rd one (putting line in a team event). I been in violation of that one in probably every scamble I've ever played.

Scrambles are not golf, doesn't matter what you do.

• 630 points

I'm lucky to break 130.  The other guys with whom I play generally shoot around 100.  If we played by the letter if every rule, we'd never finish a round.  So we cut corners.  If any of you were behind us, you'd be happy we did! :)

•  

Ty Webb
    I was unaware of that first rule. I always thought that if you were off the green you had to go first. Thank you for the post.

i didn't know that one either.  i thought that only applied to match play.

•  

noeldaof
    It's always good to bring up rules and etiquette on the board as it is always good to review what amazes another golfer.

But yes, most definitely, the farthest away always will  have honors, although he/she may allow the ball off the green to come up.

However, the "OB" ball, for us, or me, whenever in doubt, we instantly play a provisional ball and take that time to play it.  Dropping a ball from its estimated point of entry is not and never what we would do at all.  There is a reason why the penalty is severe-- The ball went Out of Bound and NOT in play anymore.

OK, If anyone is worried about playing time spent, the provisional ball is not where we need to skipp and fast forward, and certainly dropping from an OB line is a wow. . . well, are we still playing a "game" of golf?  It would be more likely to be better off to play ready golf as a better option to play faster or within lesser time, if that is the goal to be met, however.

i hear what you're saying but i disagree.  if i'm playing for nothing on the line, who cares?  i'm trying to have fun.  how many times do you hit one and get up there only to realize you can't find it in the trees or long rough.  i'm not wasting my time and everyone behind me's time to go back and hit again.  now, if i obviously hit one out of bounds or to a place i'm not finding it, i'll hit another one.  but i'm not walking/riding back to the tee to re-tee on a shot i didn't realize i wouldn't find.

•  

golferdrmjr
    shawks11Interesting...I knew most of those but, I've never heard the 3rd one (putting line in a team event). I been in violation of that one in probably every scamble I've ever played.Scrambles are not golf, doesn't matter what you do.

some of the most fun i've had on a golf course are scrambles with some good friends.  always a relaxed environment.

•  

Bingo, tdogg21, you got that right.  That's why, "whenever we're or I am in doubt" (I think I've mentioned),  We or I would immediately play a provisional ball. . . just to speed things up.  No one likes the hike or ride back.

Whether I am or anyone is playing for anything does not matter in any case.  The speed of play is of urgency in this topic and that will matter here and on the course, so I'm just saying, I take a provisional ball when my tee shot is questionable, declare it (if there is a game) and make it quick.  I also like to walk, I don't want the hike back and fort either.

By doing those steps, I know I've done the right things for me without holding anyone back or delay anyone.  But please don't get me wrong.  If I am playing in a group with anyone as a visitor or just got paired up, I would be more than glad for each one of them to do as they please.

Great topic you have here.

Thank you.

Nol

•  

appreciate the links...its always important to know the rules and this will be helpful