Forums

ProV1 - Test Balls

•  

They were definitely ProV1s.  All black and played the same.  Too hard to tell a different spin today. A little wet and no roll with wet ground today because of drizzle.  Try and test again next round.  Love being part of the sample testers.

•  

I received a sleeve of the black numbered balls yesterday and was able to get out and test them today.  Played 18 holes but played two balls per hole, one with my current ball (Penta TP 5) and one with the test ball.  I'd hit both balls from the same place for each shot after the tee ball so that I could compare distances, etc.  If this is indeed the new ProV1, I like it better than the current ProV1.  The main reason I play the Penta TP5 over the current ProV1 (aside from the price) is that the current ProV1 is TERRIBLE in the wind for my game.  It just balloons WAY too much and I just can't flight it down the way I can the Penta, and it doesn't seem very stable in cross winds either.  However, today we had a steady wind out on the course and so I was able to see how it performed in all angles of wind.  So far, I'm impressed.  While I would play the current ProV1 on calm days, I would play this ball all the time (although the 47.99 price point does hurt a little).  Compared to the current ProV1, this ball flies somewhat flatter off most clubs, is about as long (maybe a few yards longer off the tee but I really think it's about the same), and it is much easier to control the trajectory.  This ball did not balloon on me AT ALL.  It performed very similarly to the PentaTP5 (distance-wise they were within 5 yards off the tee consistently and the iron shots flew the same distances as well).  Around the green, it has a soft feel and I could be aggressive with my chips.  I'm interested to see if this is the new ProV1...seems like a good ball so far.

•  

i got one too but mine are prov1x because they are red but ill use them because there is nothing better than free golf balls

• 384 points

I posted a picture in a previous thread. I received Red numbers, but I have listed ProV1x anytime I have filled anything out for Surveys.  They look very similar to the current ProV1x, not like the picture that is included in a different thread.

•  

Hey Brian,

I got a sleeve of them too.  I'm going to try to "observe" Columbus day and test them out.

•  

joshgiano
    Hey Brian,

I got a sleeve of them too.  I'm going to try to "observe" Columbus day and test them out.

have fun and let us know what you think of the new ball.  unfortunately i have to work (and it's raining with highs in the 40s today), so no golf for me.

•  

nothing so far for me, what do you think of them?

•  

ToddL
    Got mine on Friday!  Just curious - mine have Red numbers (I presume ProV1X).  Did anyone get black numbers?

I got the black numbers. Played them yesterday. They seemed to be a bit more durable (didn't scuff up as easily on wedge shots) and flew well in the windy conditions.

•  

That's great to hear a few of you here will get to test the new ball!  Can't wait to hear from each of you.

•  

I have to either change my number of rounds per year or work seriously on getting a single digit handicap. I seem to be missing out on the fun and I could have used some ProV1's this weekend.

•  

jlawton1
    I have to either change my number of rounds per year or work seriously on getting a single digit handicap. I seem to be missing out on the fun and I could have used some ProV1's this weekend.

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of rounds you list as having played or having a single digit handicap.  I fit both of those criteria, but did not receive any test balls.  Yes, I am a member of TT.

•  

I'm not a single digit handicap and they still sent me some...luck of the draw I guess.

•  

pulplvr
    jlawton1I have to either change my number of rounds per year or work seriously on getting a single digit handicap. I seem to be missing out on the fun and I could have used some ProV1's this weekend.

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of rounds you list as having played or having a single digit handicap.  I fit both of those criteria, but did not receive any test balls.  Yes, I am a member of TT.

I am a TT member as well, maybe the postman is just a day late.

•  

I just talked to a couple guys in the office who played it this weekend.  According to them it launches a touch higher then the previous models and it is far superior in the wind.  

I won't be playing it until this Saturday at a company scramble, will post my findings then. (The course we are playing is always WINDY, should be a good test!)

•  

So I have played 2 rounds with the TEST balls.  First, I was succesful in NOT losing one of them.  Big accomplishment for 2 rounds.

My feedback on the ball is that they appear to lauch a bit higher and had a little more roll.  The 1st day I could really only notice a bit on a lauch difference.  The ground was wet and the ball picked up quite a bit of mud.  Day 2 of testing showed about the same launch as the prior day, but I thought I got a bit more roll.

This is the box they came in, and the middle is how I mark my ball.  A bit colorful, started by my son one day.  He saw my Scotty cover and saw the Red, Blue, Green and yellow dots on the cover and decided to color a brand new dozen of my ProV's as a surprise.  He colored the whole ball with the 2 sharpies in my bag, all 12 of them.  After that, I told him to try and not color the whole ball and the 3 colored dots is what he did.  Since then, I have marked all my balls the same way.