Forums

Avid Golf

•  

Todd, that reminds me of the story of a fireman friend of mine that got married and explained to his new bride that they do everything at the firehouse on alarms (1 alarm, 2 alarm, 3 alarm, etc..). He explained that when he got home after work 1st alarm means bring me my beer. 2nd Alarm means dinner is ready. 3rd alarm means run to the bedroom, undress and be ready for intercourse. The first evening he says "1st alarm" and immediately, his beer arrives. Soon thereafter, he announces "2nd alarm" and dinner is served. After dinner, he announces "3rd alarm" and they run to the bedroom. After about 2 minutes SHE announces "4th alarm!!!". He asks, "4th alarm?". She replies...."More Hose! More Hose!".

•  

O.K., perhaps the photo was too "politically incorrect" to get the point across. How avid are y'all? Granted, many have more time to play than others, but how much do you play when you "can"? For example, do you squeeze in 9 after work? Are weekends paid homage to the golf gods? Admittedly, my wife (Pinkie) and I are would rather play golf than eat - hence, we play every day possible.

•  

It just can't be real.  I'm sure the photo is superimposed.  It's just a bad humor. . .

. . . I hope.

•  

fredcloss

O.K., perhaps the photo was too "politically incorrect" to get the point across. How avid are y'all? Granted, many have more time to play than others, but how much do you play when you "can"? For example, do you squeeze in 9 after work? Are weekends paid homage to the golf gods? Admittedly, my wife (Pinkie) and I are would rather play golf than eat - hence, we play every day possible.

Fred, if what you're looking for is avid golfers, I would have to say I am one.  I don't think I'd be playing in a situation like your photo (photoshopped or not), but I do play as often as possible.  Has to be pretty cold, frozen, or pouring rain to keep me off the course.  Heat is playable, as you know, we just adapt.  Sort of like putting on another layer in the cold.

•  

fredcloss

I try to play as much as possible.  I squeak in 9 between meetings, I'll chip and putt on the carpet all the time, and try to get at least 18 holes in on the weekends.  I'm working really hard to get my Fiance more into it.  I just got her a sick pair of LowPros so that ought to help.

•  

fredcloss

I chip n putt at least a couple of times a week after work.  I'm happy when I get 72 holes in, in a weekend.  I upgrade my equipment to fit me.  But I'm cheap when it comes to bets-- I play mostly for pride.  I'm always wanting to learn new things and some history in and of golf. . . new find golf course. . . a new ball find (lol) . . . I could watch the movie "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and enjoyed it just as much as the first time. . . I love "Follow The Sun".

My newest thing now are my three Icons-- my 8 year old Dry Joys is happy for the relief rotation. . . I'm sure it is.

I log on to this site more than I should (ha ha) . . . because I like it here and enjoy everyone's stuff.

*** Guess what?  I just got this picture in an e_mail from a friend.  It said the golfer's wife made it out of the house safely, and the golfer was thankful for the par putt.

•  

Photoshop I believe. If not, no comments or would be rude...

• 2661 points

I think we all fit into the avid golfer category. My wife would call it obsessed.

• 3 points

That is me in that photo and it is not in Colorado.  It is in Northern Michigan playing "The Legend" golf course in Bell Air.  This is the 4th hole and I watched this house burn for 40 minutes prior to continuing my round.  Had to move my cart shortly after this putt due to the heat.  I did get a par on the hole but not because my putter was on fire.  

For any of you that don't believe me, just ask.  I have several pictures before and after this pict.  

•  

Very interesting.....said about the house and I can imagine how much it generated........not that we do not believe you, but can you share the before and after pictures with the community........welcome to the FJ community....why not complete your profile and join in the interaction.....cz  : )

• 1362 points

I know it's a real photo but it looks a little doctored. Electric carts are always better.

• 5025 points

I grew up at this New England boarding school where my Dad was a teacher and college counselor. I was at this football game, the big game of the year against the arch rival Deerfield Academy. I assure you this is no photoshopped image...While digital images can be manipulated and expertly so, strange thing DO happen..This fire was a remarkable instance of just this circumstance.  TKEHOE WELCOME to the FJC!! Keep posting!!

So you all understand, this building was about 250 yards away from the football field; a baseball field separated the stands from the burning building. The photo was taken with a telephoto lenses from the home (Mount Hermon) side of the field atop the "press box" (shack on stilts - hardly a press box. Just remember this is western Massachusetts prep school football, NOT Texas...With such a lense, the depth of field compresses  making the burning science building look as if it were right on top of the field. That's what made this photo famous (ran in LIFE magazine's Miscellany back page column shortly after this fire happened.)

The building was  NOT burned to the ground, but was a total loss.

For anyone interested in a fantastic secondary school education for their kids, check out the school today:

http://www.nmhschool.org/

This is a remarkable place and I count among my closest current friends, people with whom I attended this institution.

•  

One time a buddy and me played through a bunch of tornados.  We were playing at Tierra Verde in Arlington and the skies were black all round us.  The course never closed and we didn't stop playing...we were the only two on the course, so we were able to play pretty quickly.  We both left our phones in the car during our round.  When I got to my phone I had like 10 messages from my wife asking me where I was and that there were tornados all over town.  Luckily we were all safe.  Now when I play, I keep my cell phone with me on vibrate ust in case of a family emergency.

•  

Dallin
    One time a buddy and me played through a bunch of tornados.  We were playing at Tierra Verde in Arlington and the skies were black all round us.  The course never closed and we didn't stop playing...we were the only two on the course, so we were able to play pretty quickly.  We both left our phones in the car during our round.  When I got to my phone I had like 10 messages from my wife asking me where I was and that there were tornados all over town.  Luckily we were all safe.  Now when I play, I keep my cell phone with me on vibrate ust in case of a family emergency.

that's why i keep my phone with me as well.  i know it's not "accepted" by some golfers, but if my family needs me, that's more important than a playing partner is annoyed i have my phone with me.

• 1643 points

That cant be real.... I would probably play but stop for a look and call for help if it isnt already there

That is a serious blaze!!!