Forums

Phil and the World Golf Hall of Fame.. Let's discuss.

•  

I read this article this morning and I do agree with Phil. Currently he is only 41 yrs old and he has been a great ambassador to the game.

Also this leaves a question.  Why would he be inducted into the World Gold Hall Of Fame while he still is in peak form? We have seen this happen a few times already.

What is everyones opinion on this? I would really like to know.

Here is the article.

Just ahead of The Players Championship next Monday night, 41-year-old Phil Mickelson will be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame. While appreciative of the honor, the four-time major winner would prefer to wait until closer to the sunset of his PGA Tour career to be inducted. 

"I wouldn't be opposed to moving the age to 50," Mickelson said Wednesday at the Wells Fargo Championship, "because I think now with fitness being a bigger part of the Tour (and) guys' careers going longer, I think that would probably be a better point to reflect on your career as opposed to being inducted while you're right in the middle of it."  

Mickelson is still winning golf tournaments. He won this year’s AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am in a final-round showdown with Tiger Woods. Lety also got into a three-man playoff at the Northern Trust Open and was in the hunt for a fourth Masters.

The left-hander credits his continued success and health to working with swing instructor Butch Harmon and short game coach Dave Pelz. Mickelson reiterated a common refrain: the best is yet to come.

"I'm still looking forward to what these next five years bring, if not further," he said.

Optimistic in his success to come, Mickelson will use his Hall of Fame induction speech to share his passion for the sport rather than reflect on what he has already achieved.

"It's meant so much to me in my personal life," he said, "not just what it's done as an occupation but the people I've met throughout the game, the places it has taken me and the opportunities the game has provided me."

•  
    I think that he should get inducted in to the hall of fame because of what you say he is a great ambassador of the game and his 4 majors can't hurt either. However I think that the golf hall of fame should be like all the l other sports get inducted after you retire because in my mind that should be one of the things that you work so hard to accomplish and if you get inducted while you are still in your prime I don't think that will be a good thing because you might not play your best game because you are already in the hall of fame
  •  

I would also have to agree with Phil on this one. He is still in the prime of his game and induction into the Hall at this time, to my way of thinking, is premature. He is one of the best ambassadors of the game and has given much of himself to the betterment of the game that I would like to see more of that from him before he receives this honor.

•  

Phil is right.

I would say model it after baseball but they still do not have Roger Maris in the Hall of Fame (oh he didn't have the stats oh he had the biggest stat of all)  and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has left out Sid Berstein.

I do not like the the term "Hall of Fame" but "Hall of Artifacts" probably would not get many in the door. Hey after all we have to pay homage to our biggest hero, Washington on the dollar bill.

Hall of Fames are nice tourist attractions and are actually great museums. However as a measure of some one's career or life sometimes they are more shame than fame.

•  

Since the criterion for entry has been met, Phil should be inducted at this time. Is there a possible need to change the age requirement (maybe). But, at present, if by age 41, you can get 40 PGA wins, you should be proud and deserving as that is a Hall of Fame career.

Another approach in viewing the induction could be: Phase 1 - Did the job; Phase -2: Still kicking #$@; Phase - 3: Going to Champions Tour to "Get Paid".

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I think it is great honor, but should be bestowed after a players active career is over.  

•  

Phil is definitley well deserving but have to agreen with this own thoughts -

"I wouldn't be opposed to moving the age to 50," Mickelson said Wednesday at the Wells Fargo Championship, "because I think now with fitness being a bigger part of the Tour (and) guys' careers going longer, I think that would probably be a better point to reflect on your career as opposed to being inducted while you're right in the middle of it."

"I'm still looking forward to what these next five years bring, if not further," he said.

•  

NCBob

I think it is great honor, but should be bestowed after a players active career is over.  

ideally, that would be nice, but when do you consider their career over?  some guys will play on the champions tour until their late 60s or later.  and it's not the PGA hall of fame, so anything they do on the champions tour 'counts'.  Tom Watson wouldn't be in the hall yet.  and that wouldn't be right.  i wouldn't disagree with moving the age.  but if you meet the 'qualifications' i say induct them.

• 1784 points

I believe the difference between golf and baseball e.g., is that the hurdle doesn't change over time.  4 majors is fantanstic and definately worthy.  I believe it's better promotion of the hall as a place to visit to induct great players in their prime.  It is sad when a someone gets in to a hall after they've passed.  I see no reason why we should celebrate careers while golfers are in their prime.

•  

I AGREE WITH PHIL AND 50 YEARS AFTER BIRTH SHOULD BE THE MILESTONE.

SOME MAY PASS ON  BEFORE REACHING 50 BUT 50 AFTER BIRTH IS RIGHT ON.

• 1539 points

I think he deserves it right now. But I think it would have been better if it was in a couple of years. I still think he has lot of real good golf in the tank.
  •  
    I believe the golf hall of fame is a joke. Do these player deserve this, yes but not while still playing on regular tour. You should be retired or no longer with us.
    • 3539 points

I think Phil deserves to be in the Hall of Fame...but, I tend to agree that one should be elected after their competitive days are over. Golf is different than most other sports where you can play and compete at an advanced age but, I believe that the HOF should be based on your entire careers work (at least you entire PGA/Euro Tour career). Phil has more wins and maybe more majors left in him.      

•  

i don't disagree with waiting, but i also think it'll be kind of cool when he gets announced on the first tee as "hall of famer".

• 2180 points

Paul G
    I believe the golf hall of fame is a joke. Do these player deserve this, yes but not while still playing on regular tour. You should be retired or no longer with us.

Perfectly said, took the words right outta my mouth.