Forums

Club Spring 4 Ball with Dad

•  

Tomorrow is our 1st match of the 2012 season with Dad.  I have played with Dad the last four years, since I started playing again.  We have never won it, but have made it to the finals.

The game is a bit off this year.  Starting a net tournement as a 1 is not always the best for me.  Still quiet a bit of rust of the game.  I am really hoping to play strong, concentrate and bring it home this year. 

I would love nothing more than to win something paired up with Dad.

Any advice heading in to match #1 tomorrow at 2:00pm, weather permitting?

Thanks, and will keep you posted of the progress.

• 2843 points

The most important advice is to savor the opportunity to  enjoy the game with your Dad. it is a wonderful experience that we all can't have.

•  

i would just say to enjoy it no matter the score.  i had the opportunity to play with my Dad in a few tourneys.  We never won anything, but always had fun.  Unfortunately he passed away much too soon, but i am still able to fondly look back on those times.

•  

Enjoy the golf and time.  I normally play 4 or 5 times a year with my father (who is 85) and enjoy every minute of the round.

•  

my only advise is have fun dont get mad if your not playing your best just roll with it

•  

ENJOY.

YOU WILL NEVER FORGET THOSE OUTINGS.

GOLF IS A WONDERFUL GAME AND SO MUCH MORE.

•  

Just go out and enjoy playing with your dad.  Don't think about winning...all that will fall into place but as soon as you start thinking about it, you'll press too much.  Good luck and have fun!

•  

Enjoy the day.  Pay attention to your old man and remember him when he's happy and enjoying himself.  Then you'll be able to recall and treasure those days when he's no longer around to play golf with you.

•  

Wear your FJ gear and stay dry.  What course are you playing?

•  

Good Luck!

Simple advice: Keep your spirits up and your head down (let Dad follow your ball)...

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Had a great day with Dad, but fell short on the tournement.  We lost 3-2. 

We played against a 2 handicap and a 10 at 80%.  I am a 3 and Dad is a 9.  The guy who is a 10 ended up with 4 birdies, 1 par and an overall 80.  Could have been the most bizarre round I have ever played.  I have to give them credit, he made so great putts, and if we were to lose to someone, these were really GREAT guys.

I took all of the advice and just took it all in.  It was a great day, I ended up medalist of the group with a 73, dad struggled with a 81, they had 78 and 80 respectively, but as I said above, really great guys.

Thanks for the advice, and we played at Pawtucket CC in RI, home course for Dad and I.

-Brian

•  

Have you tried the state Father & Son? There should be no age limit. I used to play those up in Canada with my Dad, and now living in Northern Mass, I play in the NH Father & Son with my own son. On about our 4th try, we actually won it last year. We had a magical day and combined for a bogey-free 5-under 67.

My Dad & brother came down from Montreal last week and we played a foursome with my son.

Nothing beats father & son golf. Nothing.

Have a great summer everyone.

• 2843 points

Considering the weather we had  here in R.I.  yesterday I would say that your Dad's 81 was nothing to be ashamed of. We played  on Wed. also and ended up with windburn. More important than your score(not that that isn't important) the fact that you had a great day with your dad is something to always remember. 

•  

To MyFeetAreHappy, no we have not tried the Father / Son.  It has always taken place on or just around my wife's birthday or our anniverisary, so I have not played. It happens again this year, her birthday.

Glad to hear you get to play as a "family".  I certainly enjoy each round regarless of outcome.

Since you are in MA, maybe once the weather breaks we can meet middle ground and sneak a round in together.

Thanks and take care,

-Brian

•  

Hi Zacho, not too bad actaully on the weather front, actually.  I by no MEANS was ashamed of an 81 or any score and I hope I didnt come across that way.  I learned it all from DAD, never a lesson in my life and always enjoying playing with him.  I if anything had higher expectations of myself, hoping to bring it home for him.

It was a great day anyways.  Thanks for the feedback.  Maybe we can hook up for a round soon.  Funny to find out the "locals" in our area all on the FJ site and active.

Thanks and take care,

-Brian