Forums

Using the Right Elbow on the Downswing

• 159 points

The right elbow can be a real asset in shallowing the downswing plane. I focus a lot of my training on pushing/tucking it under my left arm on the downswing. The key is not to let the left arm seperate from the chest when you preform this move. Any other thoughts?  Here is my swing, you can see on the downswing how my right elbow tucks under the left

watch?v=OSs7kJFi3I

•  

theeaglequest

The right elbow can be a real asset in shallowing the downswing plane. I focus a lot of my training on pushing/tucking it under my left arm on the downswing. The key is not to let the left arm seperate from the chest when you preform this move. Any other thoughts?  Here is my swing, you can see on the downswing how my right elbow tucks under the left

watch?v=OSs7kJFi3I

Your Link is non functional....

Welcome to the FJC

You are correct in that the right arm can actually help in increasing the velocity of the swing to add additional speed once the right shoulder stops allowing the right arm's momentum to force (additional) "whip" to the wrist.

It is a sequencing manuever that takes time/practice to learn.

Thanks for sharing. 

-ICONs for ALL  

•  
    Ok I'll try that
    • 159 points

Yeah I think it may have to do with me being new. I reposted it but it said it had to be approved. Here is the youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Ss7kJFi3I

•  

The video played when I clicked on it. Should be working OK now.

•  

A little over technical for me.  I never thought about how my right elbow enhances my swing.  Since I broke it when I was a kid I guess I will always have a broken swing.  Oh well I can still start on 1 and finish on 18.

• 159 points

Dana quigley also had an aweful right arm due to a bad childhood injury and Hogan had a really bad hip injury. So we just have to find other ways to become great ball strikers :)