Forums

What's the deal with ........................................

• 1539 points

I was thinking about switching to one to see if it helps. Is there any disadvantages for having one.
  •  

BostonBuzza

I think they just look goofy.  I do say I use a mid size and the reason, which I assume is similar is to take more of the tension, or tight squeeze out of your hands while putting.

Jumbo's have NEVER been a favorite, similar to belly putters, I say outlaw them.

i hate belly putters and think they should be banned due to (what i think is) an unfair advantage that is not in the spirit of the game when you anchor the putter.  but i disagree with banning a jumbo grip.  i don't like them, but i see no reason to ban them.  i don't think you get an unfair advantage by using them.

•  

I've tried the bigger grips but I had a problem releasing the putter head.  My distance control on mid to long putts suffered too much, so I quickly switched back to a smaller grip.  I like the Cameron studio design grips.

• 1495 points

I don't think that they should outlaw the thicker grips. It's not like the belly and chest putter where its being anchored to the body. The long putters take some of the skill out of putting IMO. But the oversized grips still force you to take the putter back properly.

•  

BostonBuzza

I think they just look goofy.  I do say I use a mid size and the reason, which I assume is similar is to take more of the tension, or tight squeeze out of your hands while putting.

Jumbo's have NEVER been a favorite, similar to belly putters, I say outlaw them.

totally agree on the mid-size and the belly ban!!!

This is my grip:

•  

All the purists, what harm does it do if more people can enjoy the game and the game grows.  Maybe when you are a little older and can't bend over anymore a long putter may not be such a bad idea, or the arthritis in hands requires a fatter grip, or you get the yips and want o give up the game. There are only a couple thousand people in the world that can play at a high enough level that these things may make a difference to leave the rest alone.

•  

so...out of curiosity, why do you guys want to ban the mid-size and jumbo grips?

•  

I've been using a Winn Jumbo grip. It's not quite as huge as the "SuperStroke" KJ uses, or whatever it's called.

I use it on a Scotty Cameron Red X2, center shafted mallet, a.k.a. the "Lawsuit putter".

The large grip quiets the hands.

No reason to ban it.