Forums

What's the deal with ........................................

•  

I was just wondering what the deal is with the jumbo putter grips, it seems as though I see them more and more on tour.  Does anyone in the community have them and if so, what are the benefits over the conventional grips ?

•  
    I use a mid size grip... It's weird when it's a huge white one like Duf though!!
    • 3627 points

It's for people with the yips. A bigger grip activates the bigger muscles vs. the smaller ones which twitch in the hands when they putt. 

•  

Although i am back to standard putter grip, I have it in my Ping Anser and I Also have them on a Rifle two bar (center shafted).  When I was having issues with putting, I experimented on these.  My findings shows that it helps quiet my hands from turning (open close).  The thick grip makes it easy to rock (straight) back and forth like a pendulum while keeping the face square at most times most especially at and through the ball position.

Also, I had more success with the center shafted putter together with the thick grip.  The heel shafted are better left alone with the standard grips.

• 2180 points

Ive tried a couple of the oversized grips, but not the JUMBO ones.

For most people it blocks a lot of wrist movement in the putter stroke.

I plan on doing it this next fall or winter and trying to get used to it. Hate to change this time of year when my putting is doing pretty well.

•  

TY, I HAVE ONE. IT IS SUPPOSED TO HELP KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE STROKE.

I NEED A MUCH BIGGER ONE,,,,,,,LOL.

•  

I tried one but it felt AWFUL. I didn't have any control over the club so I just put it back. When it comes to putting, to each their own, but I didn't like the fact that my hands felt "open" while holding the large grip.

• 1495 points

Ty, I have a super stroke slim. Although it's bigger than your standard putter, grip it's not overly bulky. It has a reverse taper to it so its fatter at the bottom. I have found that it has been beneficial for me, my putts are straighter and more online now than they were before with my regular grip. But like Whaql1 said to each their own.

•  

Tiger Shark did this many many years ago.  it was an interesting feel, but i couldn't do it long term.  but some people swear by it.  just not for me.

•  
    I don't like them either I will just stick with my normal camo putter grip
  •  

I've tried them once or twice -  just like I tried a belly putter.  It's all a matter of comfort and what works best for you.

•  

I use a Winn grip mid-size on my Bullseye putter.  I have found it gives me a better feel for the stroke and my putting has improved big-time.  It is, simply put, a better connection between my hands and the putter.  The super-size, though, is a bit much.

•  

I believe KJ Choi was the first on tour to use one about 3-4 years ago.

•  

NCBob

I believe KJ Choi was the first on tour to use one about 3-4 years ago.

And they used to laugh at him because of the look of the Big Grip...

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I think they just look goofy.  I do say I use a mid size and the reason, which I assume is similar is to take more of the tension, or tight squeeze out of your hands while putting.

Jumbo's have NEVER been a favorite, similar to belly putters, I say outlaw them.