The best tip you have received for lowering your score

•  
    bholley

golferdrmjr

Wheelez3030

drive for show putt for doe is my best quote from my teaching pro

You putt for female deer?

Don,

Give him a break, at least he is not putting for bucks (not that there is anything wrong with that).

No I don't putt for them I hunt them
  •  

Wheelez3030
    bholley

golferdrmjr

Wheelez3030

Don,

Give him a break, at least he is not putting for bucks (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Wheelez what you do with those bucks in the privacy of your own home is none of our business. But somehow I think Tim might like to see some pictures

•  

Played with head pro at French Creek GC yesterday and he said I was lifting my head and following the ball after striking it.... Started to putt alot better when I kept my eyes glued to where the ball was!

•  

19hole
    Bob, I must agree with Devin on this one. Headcmovement during the putting stroke is really not that good. It tends to bring your shoulders and then your upper body out of the putt. This leads to very inconsistant putting. Just look at Yani Tseng whenshe is putting poorly for a classic example of what happens when you move your head.

19TH AND DEVIN, YOU ARE RIGHT I MISSED THE PUTTING THING, I DO AGREE HEAD MOVEMENT IS A PUTT KILLER. I WAS THINKING OF THE SWING. SORRY, ONCE AGAIN I SPOKE BEFORE I ENGAGED MY BRAIN.

•  
    By far the best tip I received was "Don't overswing".
  •  
    bholley

Wheelez3030
    bholley

golferdrmjr

Wheelez3030

Don,

Wheelez what you do with those bucks in the privacy of your own home is none of our business. But somehow I think Tim might like to see some pictures

I do try to hunt them but I have yet to hit one
  •  

19hole
    Best way to eliminate three putts...hit your approach shots closer to the hole!

hmm....so that's my problem!

•  

NCBob

Play 2 balls and play from the worst shot, sharpens your concentration to have to hit 2 good shots

that's a good idea.  i'll have to try that.

• 1613 points

What works, for me, is chipping pratice.  Some of my chipping is to the flag. The majority of chipping is building tempo and direction, then adjust swing path to the hole using the same swing. What I have found is "if" I only work at chipping to the hole I lose tempo and swing path. Then when I go to the driving range my tempo is off. I also, when chipping, I make sure my right shoulder rolls through naturally without forcing it... make sure you keep your wrists relaxed. Even though chipping is much like putting when chipping make sure you let your hips, and weight transfer work. N E V E R try to control the chip.. let the club do the work, and relax.. everything will work efficiently if you let it, and it shows up best when chipping.

Putting let you putter swing free and do not try to direct the putter. Let the putter swing free and find out the natural direction of the swing path.

Both these will help lower your score, and if you want to get really serious about lowing your score put down a 4 on your score card when you really had a 6.

Tee it Up

•  

Best advice ever received: Go see your PGA professional...(HAHA)

-ICONs for ALL

• 627 points

Out of laziness after chipping balls onto the practice green I would putt them with my 60.  Getting a smooth roll by "skulling" the leading edge of the wedge into the ball took a lot more concentration than I was up to that point giving my putts.  I found that when I returned to my putter that I was hitting putts much more pure and with a much smoother rool on the green.

Now, I make it a point before a round to putt 20-30 with my wedge to get my mind focused on making pure contact on the sweet spot of the putter face.

• 3066 points

I use the same warm up as smashdn, chipping a few balls and then putting them using the leading edge of my wedge.

It forces you to keep your eye on the back of the ball (same point as TNT009 - hey lookin' good in FJ Blue), and use a smooth stroke. If your peeking or moving it will be ugly. It also starts with much needed chipping practice.

Its also the same stroke/club to use if you want to putt a ball that is up against a collar that prevents putter face contact.

•  

parthur

I use the same warm up as smashdn, chipping a few balls and then putting them using the leading edge of my wedge.

It forces you to keep your eye on the back of the ball (same point as TNT009 - hey lookin' good in FJ Blue), and use a smooth stroke. If your peeking or moving it will be ugly. It also starts with much needed chipping practice.

Its also the same stroke/club to use if you want to putt a ball that is up against a collar that prevents putter face contact.

Parthur....

Welcome to the FJC

• 1495 points

I like to work on up/downs. Chipping two or three balls from the same location to a particular hole and then trying to make the putt. Works on both chipping it close and being able to make the necessary putts to save that hole. I'm sure everyone does this.

• 1613 points

I feel another good drill requires an axe, and log, tree stumb.. whatever.

When dirving maxium impact with an axe we need to let the "axe" do the work.

Consider the axe. Many people unfortunately fall prey to the misconception that axe handling is an innate skill, perhaps the birthright of all who possess the pioneering spirit. This is not true. While it's not rocket science, swinging an axe takes a bit of thought. It does not take long to figure the best "swing path" to get maxium striking power.

Once you understand the correct swing path of the axe, and the importance of letting the momentum of the axe do the work take this swing to the golf course.

Think about the many swing you see people trying, and then think how effective those swings would be using an axe. This is when you will recognize the importance of proper swing path.

Me? I don't need to use an axe I have used an axe enough times I know the proper swing, and all I do to remind me is to place both hands on the club in the same position as I do with an axe (wide apart) and let the hands slid together at the top then swing down. A couple times should do the trick. You may want to start on the chipping green to develope the feel.

It also helps with properly rotating the right side into impact.. (tempo).

OK, one short story the other day a gentleman joined us and during the round began talking about his excerise program.. 225 pushups and a 100 pullups. We were on a par five and he let it fly... me I just hit the ball like swinging an axe (the axe doing the work, me just hanging on). We were on seperate carts and he immediate drove to his ball 60 yards ahead of everyone, and got out to measure the distance to the hole. Then he looked down at the ball and realized it was not his but mine. No more stories about his workouts the rest of the round.

Try the axe swing, and then tee it up.