Forums

The best tip you have received for lowering your score

• 682 points

FJ community,

I am intrested in finding out the best tip you have received to lower your score.

The best tip I have received is practice 100 yards in, 12 balls at each location and working from close to far.

I have improved by 3 strokes doing this drill.

Tell me what you have done to improve....

•  
    Spend plenty of time putting and chipping, eliminating 3 putts and being able to get up and down are key to shooting lower scores
    • 682 points

Thanks for your reply.

Agree totally!

•  

Keep the head still while putting - most important thing you can do in my opinion.

The other came to me from an unnamed golf TV personality, "keep your belly in on the full swing, chips, pitches, etc".  When you "pop" out the belly you come out of your angles causing all types of problems, chunks, blocks, hooks.

•  

Hit your irons closer, this will in turn improve your putting.

• 1495 points

Completely agree with cwaybright, short game is key to lowering scores! What good is a 300+ yard drive if you cant it get it up and down? Course management is huge as well, read an article on either golf digest or golf channel about playing the course backwards, planning out your shots. Also check out girlsgotgolf post in the forum about putting drills she has a good drill for putting speed and distance control

•  

Two things:

1) Improve your short game.  If you can get up/down and putt well, you will lower your score.  The closer your short irons and chips get to the flag, the better you'll putt.

2) Find that "Go To" shot off the tee.  It's hard to make par from the rough and/or trees consistently.  If it means clubbing down to a three wood (or less) to find the fairway, do it.  Having 175 to the flag from the fairway is better than having 130 from the trees.

•  

I have spent much more time around the putting green with both my 56 and 60 wedges.  I have tried to get the comfort down of "picking" these shots cleaning without "Skulling" them into the pond surrounding the practice green.

This has helped me with my touch and feel around the green prior to the round.  I really feel this has kept my short game sharp and confidence up.

Give it a shoot.

• 1539 points

Don't three putt. Haha
  •  

KEEP YOUR HEAD STILL,,,,,,,,,,,ON EVERY SHOT.

• 2180 points

Best thing I had happen to me. 7th grade year, playing on vasity golf team. Hit 3 ob on 3 holes. Coach comes over and talks to me for a bit. Get to the next hole, driver gone. Didn't get it back the rest of the season. Made me focus on all aspects of my games.

Even today, if i'm not hitting it well. It stays in the pickup, as I JUST CAN'T SAY NO!!!

one of my favorite quotes " Drive for show, putt for dough"

•  

drive for show putt for doe is my best quote from my teaching pro

• 3627 points

When I was playing with an old Golf Pro boss I hit a tee ball OB and walked back to my bag to get another ball. He said "Would you like some free professional advice?" Thinking he was going to give me a swing tip after my OB shot he goes "Carry two balls" referring to the time it took to go get another ball. 

• 3627 points

Jwill203
    Don't three putt. Haha

har. har.

•  

Practice putting without a backswing.

I have a tendancy with my putter to get guick, causing a short gouge stroke creating  deceleration. Generally when putting on the practice green from two foot and in  I will only "push" the ball to the hole with the putter with no back stroke. This helps me to get a better roll on the ball without any deceleration.

Once that feel is incorporated and working,  I resume my practice session putting with a full pendulum stroke.

As many has mentioned and I do concur. You must eliminate 3 putts,  work on chipping and  also putting to lower your scores.