Forums

Drills

• 1495 points

Alright, let's hear everyone's favorite and least favorite drills that they work on, whether it be on the driving range or on the putting greens?

• 1613 points

I like to arrive at least 1 hour before a tee time. My drill starts with the chipping area. Chipping helps me with my alignment, and I warm up with alignment (chipping on line with the flag). Then once my alignmet is comfortable I work on distance contol to the chipping flag(s). Then I go to the putting area and do the same as on the chipping area.. alignment first, distance second. This is followed by a trip to the driving range, and hit about 1to 3 shots with 6 different clubs. I did not mention I have already checked in for my tee time.. my final step is to go to my cart, check that my bag is secure, lift the seat and check the batteries, empty my pockets into a special bag attached to my golf bag, attach my range finder (Bushnell Hybrid, GPS/Laser) to the frame of the cart by the windshield, wet my hand towel, check to make sure my balls are marker (often the night before). Make sure I have a full cup of water with crushed ice. Put on my personal seat cushion (designed to protect the spine, recommended for people in wheelchairs) I find it is perfect for protecting my spine while playing golf. A relaxed spine = a good golf swing.

What is it that you do?

•  

I have a tendency to "cut" the ball do to swing path moving from outside to inside. My drill for correction is two Tees at 30 angle and about two club heads apart. Ball is placed in the middle. If path is outside, I will hit the outer Tee.

-ICONs for ALL

•  
    My routine at the range is 1) buy balls to hit 2) find a spot that is open possibly on grass 3) start with my 52* wedge then my 9 iron then my 7 iron then my 5 iron then my 3 wood then driver That is it for me I do this untill I run out of balls
    • 1613 points

OK, this is a drill I use because it can be done at home and does not require hitting a ball. Take a driver and swing it slow as possible both the take away and follow through. When you go to the driving range or course do the same hitting a ball during warmup. Make sure you Do Not tense your wrists keep them as relaxed as possible.

•  

Unconventionally, I stay as "still" as I could in every shot.

•  

Are we talking drills or routines??   Drills are to train you, routines get you in the proper frame of mind.  Then you are ready.

• 3467 points

pick a new target for every shot, and switch clubs for every shot. Go through your preshot routine for every shot. You will get better at playing golf, instead of better at playing driving range.

•  

Love the ladder drill...i hit putts from all four sides of a hole and set up 3 or 4 balls in ladder fashion from about 1 foot back to about 7-9 feet and roll putts listening to the sound of the ball to drop in the hole