Forums

Parallel

•  

Welcome miguelj20 !  Interesting question and informative answer/advice from Rick. Will need to review my video anaylsis in relation to this - although won't worry  too much from a technical perspective as I find what occurs naturally produces  more consistency with my swing.

•  
    NCBob

I think 19th hole is best qualified with that question.  There are a few very successful players who swing past parallel.  John Daly, Tiger Woods for 2.  Most do not want to overswing and stop at parallel or short of it.  Most iron swings do not come close to parallel.  A swing that is controlled with good tempo and balance are the most important things in my opinion.

John Daly is the number 1 answer for the person that goes past parallel , I don't think tiger does that
  •  

I think you shouldn't be thinking about going parallel. Just make a turn that your body is capable of.

I was playing the other day, when after a few holes one of my playing partners reminded me I was swinging parallel, on my tee shots. I was doing this subconsciously. When I got to a tee box, where I could see my shadow, I looked at my swing to see if I was going parallel. Needless to say, I put the thought in my mind and looked at my shadow instead of the ball. That was my worst tee shot, a grounder.

• 3467 points

19hole would you agree that the trend a lot of teachers are following is to develop a shorter, more compact swing? That seems to be the traights describing the "Modern Swing" .

•  

I dont worry about getting to parallel , I stop short of parallel and I get more control. There was an article, I believe in the current golf magazine, about finding your "Natural" backswing position. If you overswing aor try to get tp perfect parallel you will do more harm than good. We all have a "natural" position when we reach the top of our backswing and thats what you want not what someone else does ...

• 1495 points

All very interesting perspectives on the topic. I attempted a few swings trying to get to parallel and it just wasn't for me. I actually found that if I stop short of parallel and keep it compact that I have greater control ( for the most part anyways) and better distance. Different strokes for different folks, right?

•  

I find if I get to parallel or beyond my shots tend to slice...I try to get short of parallel so as to be able to get square at impact.

It might have something to do with my height but I teach all my high school golfers to stay short of parallel

• 3467 points

miguelj20

All very interesting perspectives on the topic. I attempted a few swings trying to get to parallel and it just wasn't for me. I actually found that if I stop short of parallel and keep it compact that I have greater control ( for the most part anyways) and better distance. Different strokes for different folks, right?

I imagine that you or anybody for that matter would find this true because a centered strike on the clubface with less clubhead speed would go further and have a better trajectory than an off center strike with a greater clubhead speed.

•  

Me too Rick, Freddy's the man.

I would say another one that likes to go beyond parallel is Bubba and I think Phil Mick?  I don't really pay attention to the length of swings or anything, I am more into the body movements and what not.