Forums

GPS or Range Finder??

•  

Rwelch360

I have both, but i will use my skycaddie more because it is quick to just glance down at, and if you have a blind shot you can still have a distance instead of having to walk of a yardage from a nearby sprinkler. Also my laser is not legal for tournament play, I use a Bushnell V2 slope edition. I use it to map courses and adjust for slope on ranges while practicing. No the most practical but the intent is to correct set up for Trackman combines since trackman yardages are given as carry flat distances. My range is not flat is its very downhill and then around 200 yards goes back up hill.

is the slope edition what makes it illegal?

•  

tdogg21

Rwelch360

I have both, but i will use my skycaddie more because it is quick to just glance down at, and if you have a blind shot you can still have a distance instead of having to walk of a yardage from a nearby sprinkler. Also my laser is not legal for tournament play, I use a Bushnell V2 slope edition. I use it to map courses and adjust for slope on ranges while practicing. No the most practical but the intent is to correct set up for Trackman combines since trackman yardages are given as carry flat distances. My range is not flat is its very downhill and then around 200 yards goes back up hill.

The slope edition takes into account up hill and downhill, I guess they think that will make the game to easy!

•  

Yep - I seem to recall the USGA commented the slope calculation on lasers supposedly offers subjective information, as opposed to facts about distance or the actual change in elevation. Hence, they state, " the device must measure distance only; it must not measure other conditions such as wind speed or direction, the slope of the ground or the temperature."

Anyway, I own a Bushnell Laser and a Golf Buddy GPS. The GPS unit provides approximate distances to greens and hazards as well as a hole layout. They're good for playing strange courses or, when you are in an area where you can't see to laser a yardage. Still, for dead accuracy to a pin or bunker, lasers can't be beat except a by George Lucas Tour Yardage Book.

• 1613 points

I have the Bushnell Hybrid. It combines both. To use it I put together a arm with a quick release.. much like a camera tripod. I attached it to the frame of the golf cart windshield. The window of the GPS facing me.

This way I am not away reaching for the range finder, and when on the fairway where distance is all I can hit I still like to know the distance to the green. My best approach shot is 100/60 range.. so if the green is 250 covered with bunkers and a small landing area I may hit an 8 iron apporach... then wedge it the rest of the way. It has been a storke saver for me.

When I go for the pin I use the laser by relasing the range finder from the thumb quick release. It goes faster and a helps pace of play.

If you have not tried the Bushnell Hybrid I would recommend it, but also rig a arm with a quick release.

•  

I'm a GPS guy because I can't seem to steady my hands with a range finder...

• 3467 points

tdogg21

Rwelch360

Yes exactly, the slope edition, like Devin mentions, calculates the actual distance the ball will have to travel taking into consideration the elevation relative to where you are standing.  For instance if you are 150 yards away to a green that is elevated 30 yards it would come back with an exact number (Not 150) to that flagstick the ball would have to fly to get there. Totally illegal, but useful information to mark down on a scorecard or note pad for when you are playing a round with your skycaddie but are facing a similar situation. It's the equivalent of been there done that.

•  

i saw a commercial where they demonstrated the slope edition.  it seems pretty cool.  i handed thought about it being illegal, but makes sense that it is.

•  

by the way, for anyone interested, i saw bushnell has up to a $100 rebate on some of their products.