Forums

GPS or Range Finder??

•  

Go Hokies

I have both -  will use them together -  GPS for front of green - how much to traps, etc.

Rangefinder for exact yardages and practice.

that's what i've been thinking about doing.  i just don't want to spend the money on both.  do you think one or the other is worth less?  in other words, would it be ok to go cheap on one of them?

•  

I used to have a Callaway uPro which was cool but I now use and prefer my Leupold rangefinder.  It is awesome.  I also like that it gives me the chance to tell people that my bro-in-law who was an Army sniper swears by Leupold as they make the sniper scopes.

Seth

•  

cleanfan

I used to have a Callaway uPro which was cool but I now use and prefer my Leupold rangefinder.  It is awesome.  I also like that it gives me the chance to tell people that my bro-in-law who was an Army sniper swears by Leupold as they make the sniper scopes.

Seth

that's good info to know.  i had only looked at the bushnell range finders since they are the most 'popular'.  but i'll have to check them out as well.

• 3627 points

Personally I'm a fan of rangefinders.

• 1484 points

Had a GPS for years, but got tired of always having to update it. Granted it had all the cool stuff (scoring, distances to traps and all that stuff), but when it died I went with a rangefinder. Now I'm 100% hooked on scoping my target and knowing the exact yardage from where I'm at. 

• 1441 points

I have the Sky Caddie SGX and I absolutely love it. The intelli green feature and hole view are incredible it has been a great help.

•  

i have a rangefinder but more often than not, i just use the course markers.

•  

Here's my opinion -  you get what you pay for when you try to save dollars (especially on the Range Finder).  On avenue for the GPS is going to the Sky caddie web site - they sell recondition Sky Caddies  -  you can sometime get the pervious version (SG5 for example) at a really good price.

• 691 points

Depending on the day I use two types of gps programs on my phone. Either golflogix which is free to download or Golfshot:GPS for iPhone which Has a stats tracker that works with another program called Golfplan which creates training plans for catered specifically for you based on your stats.
  •  

Go Hokies

Here's my opinion -  you get what you pay for when you try to save dollars (especially on the Range Finder).  On avenue for the GPS is going to the Sky caddie web site - they sell recondition Sky Caddies  -  you can sometime get the pervious version (SG5 for example) at a really good price.

i usually go by that thought as well.  but there are so many options.  especially for GPSs.  and then some have yearly fees but others don't.  and some have a bunch of features i don't care about.  it's really hard to find an actual side-by-side comparison of GPSs.  

• 683 points

I have the Garmin S1 watch, and it's all I need.

•  

Both products are great!

I still use my sky caddie and love it.  I do prefer a rangefinder though when you see major elevation changes in your lie on the approach shots.

• 3467 points

I have both, but i will use my skycaddie more because it is quick to just glance down at, and if you have a blind shot you can still have a distance instead of having to walk of a yardage from a nearby sprinkler. Also my laser is not legal for tournament play, I use a Bushnell V2 slope edition. I use it to map courses and adjust for slope on ranges while practicing. No the most practical but the intent is to correct set up for Trackman combines since trackman yardages are given as carry flat distances. My range is not flat is its very downhill and then around 200 yards goes back up hill.

•  
    The winter I bought the Bushnell Hybrid. So far, I have found the laser to be terrific. The GPS it is nice for the front and back of the green numbers. Still learning how to program it to put certain landmarks (such as bunkers, etc.). So far, so good. I bought a refurb unit...
    • 557 points

Rangefinder, you can get the distance for whatever you want.