Forums

GPS or Range Finder??

•  

Which do you guys use?  and which do you like better?  both have their advantages and disadvantages and i'm not sure which i would rather have.

•  

I currently have neither, but am thinking of getting a GPS. Will be very interested to see what everyone says in this post.

The ease of use and additional features are what lead me towards the GPS over the Range Finder.

•  

I have a Bushnell Rangefinder.  And I have the GPS app on my phone.  Seem to lean towards the rangefinder, because it is never wrong.  GPS sometimes does not give you the correct info.   

TT

•  
    I'm with TT I have a range finder, I like the reliability, and it is legal for all tournament play
    • 1790 points

I finally broke down and bought a gps last year.  I enjoy it.  I've borrowed rangefinders and appreciate them as well.  It depends on what I'm trying to figure out.  Distance to an intermediate point, e.g.

•  

i like that the range finder is accurate and can be a very useful tool on the range.  but i also like that a GPS can show you the hole and what is in front of you.

and if i'm really honest, i like the bells and whistles that come with a GPS.....

•  

cwaybright
    I'm with TT I have a range finder, I like the reliability, and it is legal for all tournament play

I concur.

The Rangefinder is more accurate as it determines distance based on point to point feedback and it is allowed for tournament play.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

tdogg21

Which do you guys use?  and which do you like better?  both have their advantages and disadvantages and i'm not sure which i would rather have.

tdogg21, it's almost player preference.  I have both the laser (Nikon) and a GPS (Upro).  They're both pretty good and it would depend on where I use it.

I like that the GPS are quicker and it shows a layout of what I can't see.  Keep scores and other stuff.

I also like the laser as I can point and shoot to targets, lay up, pin, use it at a driving range, check the carry, and it is very accurate.

I use the laser more than I use the GPS because I'm always playing the same courses.  But I use the GPS on courses that I'm not very familiar with.

Good luck on your search.  (I hear Garmin is very good)

•  

I have used a range finder for years.  I like the accuracy to the target.  Our course has the reflectors on the pins. try quick and always accurate.  GPS is more of an approximation.  Same as pacing off from the sprinkler head and guessing weather the pin is plus or minus.

•  

I actually have both...I prefer my Skycaddie (GPS) to the rangefinder 99% of the time.  It gives me lay up/carry distances as well as an entire layout of the green.  I will use my rangefinder every now and then, but rarely.  I honestly have a hard time playing without my Skycaddie now.  Some GPS devices aren't always accurate, but I have NEVER had an issue with my SkyCaddie because it's ground mapped vs. satellite mapped like all the others.  If you are going to get a GPS, don't go cheap.

•  
    Ill take a laser any day, more accurate and no fees or satellite coverage worries..Leupold GX3!
  •  
    I have both. Generally stick to the rangefinder simply bc I play the same course a lot and know my way around well.
    • 165 points

I use a gps app on the iphone which is accurate enough for my skill level.  If I was more consistent and needed precise distances I would probably go with the range finder.

•  
    I use a GPS. I find it works well with the GPS that come on a cart to double check and cross reference.
  •  

I have both -  will use them together -  GPS for front of green - how much to traps, etc.

Rangefinder for exact yardages and practice.