Forums

How Much $$$ Is Too Much To Pay For A Scramble

• 2180 points

Depends on the tournament and location. 

Around here we actually have a mix bag of competition and charity scrambles. Most range from 50-150 per player. Most of these usually has a calcutta on sat. night where teams go from 20 bucks to 2-3k for a team. Makes sundays pretty interesting :D 

We play a scramble ever year here that is 150 bucks a person for a one day scramble. However it is THE ONLY DAY that public is allowed to come and play on the course. 

•  

golfchick

tdogg21

i can't stand when tourneys randomly flight the teams.  the last scramble i played in, we were 2 shots off the winners and more than 10 shots better than the highest score that money money.  yet we got nothing.

Interesting POV. At our events that aren't handicapped, we divide the field evenly into two or three flights based on score. We look at it as a way to reward teams who may not be stacked and/or who keep an honest score. That way teams don't know in advance a score to shoot for. Prizes are equivalent value across the flights.

i understand there has to be a 'line' drawn somewhere.  i just get frustrated because my groups play by the rules and we don't stack our teams.  but we usually play well.  a couple years ago we actually birdied our last hole.  only to find out after that a par would have given us a 2nd flight win but instead we got nothing.  i just don't like leaving a course feeling like a birdie cost me a win.  i'm a competitive guy and like to win.  the prize is secondary to me.

•  

[quote user

I play in quite a few corporate golf outings and while they are fun and a good excuse to get out and play.  The cheating really gets you out of the mood to be there.  I usually take clients and have a good time, nothing serious.  I like the tournaments that blind draw for places ( 7th place = 1st..etc).  It helps to stop the loaded teams and curb the cheating a bit.  

I'm glad you brought the cheating aspect up. Although I can't prove it I'm quite sure that cheating has occurred in a few tourneys I've played in. And like you said it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, and your not so quick to sign up for another one.  I know it really pisses me off. One time I was playing with a friend and @ the turn we heard 1 group was at -15 , and my friend was like screw it lets just hit the bar. We did finish the back 9, but I understand  what you mean by getting you out of the mood.

•  

Ty Webb

I'm glad you brought the cheating aspect up. Although I can't prove it I'm quite sure that cheating has occurred in a few tourneys I've played in. And like you said it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, and your not so quick to sign up for another one.  I know it really pisses me off. One time I was playing with a friend and @ the turn we heard 1 group was at -15 , and my friend was like screw it lets just hit the bar. We did finish the back 9, but I understand  what you mean by getting you out of the mood.

that's another reason why i stay away from 'big-money' tourneys.  if the winner only gets 50-100, it's not really worth cheating.  but it is frustrating to see a group behind you hitting it all over the place.  only to found out after they 'shot' -18.

• 3627 points

It all depends on the course. The local muni? I wouldn't show up. Summer scramble at Maidstone? I'd consider an entry fee.

•  

For a scramble, I think that the venue is really what drives it.  I believe that the charity should make at least $50 per golfer right off the top.  Therefore, if the venue costs per player (including food) is $150 per golfer, then $200 is reasonable.  The key is how much the fixed costs are for the location.